Search the forum,

Discuss ply or tilebacker over timber floorboards? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

Buffalo Tiler

Hi guys, Im pricing a tasty lookin job but am in two minds wether to ply or tilebacker directly over the existing floorboards. Am I Ok with fixing either product straight to the floor boards. How would you go about preperation before tiling in this situation? Also there is a small area which is screed and meets up with the floorboards, I was going to throw a expansion strip wher the 2 subs meet, Will that be sufficient? :smilewinkgrin:

S

Stephen@Weber

Make sure the sub floor is supported, screwed in every 300mm and then use either, which ever method you use will require different prep but I'd go with backer boards.

M

mikethetile

stick the backer boards with flexi before screwing as this will fill any voids

B

Buffalo Tiler

Thanks for the replies fellas! When you say make sure the subfloor is supported is that as in good strong joists? and then srewed down at 300 centres. Also What would be the minimum thickness for backerboards?:thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

right with the floor you need to ensure theres no deflection or bounce

if you can feel any movemrnt at all you will need to brace the floor with noggins

joists are designed to have a certain amount of spring in them , this absorbs shocks and makes the floor comfortable to walk on

if theres deflection you will need to lift the existing floorboards and place in noggins lay 18mm wbp ply with a noggin at each joint, screw down at 300 centres,leave a 6-10mm gap abutting the wall for soundproofing and expansion

you may if you wish overboard this with 6mm backer boards to give an ideal tiling surface

or you can overboard the existing floor with 18mm wbp as described providing deflection is minimal but this does create issues with the height of the floor compared to surrounding floor levels, and a lot of tilers opt for lifting the existing floor to brace and give the best job

Last edited by a moderator:
B

Buffalo Tiler

Im pretty sure there is no deflection with the existing floorboards but i will double double check that before i go ahead! If all is well, stable and without any bounce with the floorboards can i go ahead with using 6mm backerboards screwed at 300 centres and using flexi to stick backerboards to floor? :thumbsup:

M

mikethetile

Im pretty sure there is no deflection with the existing floorboards but i will double double check that before i go ahead! If all is well, stable and without any bounce with the floorboards can i go ahead with using 6mm backerboards screwed at 300 centres and using flexi to stick backerboards to floor? :thumbsup:
yes you can:thumbsup:

providing there is absolutly no deflection whatsoever

B

Buffalo Tiler

Thanks for the info mike, ill be sure to check floorboards properly before going ahead.

Steve, MCG Tiling. :thumbsup:

P

Peter

Would it be a safer option to ply first, just to take any doubt out of your mind?

B

Buffalo Tiler

That would be another option, but The good thing is the floorboards are the actual finished flooring at the moment on the ground floor so they are already fixed very well and are in good condition. :thumbsup:

Reply to ply or tilebacker over timber floorboards? in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, I am trying to achieve a low floor build up including wet UFH over a new suspended timber...
Replies
Views
Hello, Just joined the forum and am hoping to get some advice on a project. I live in San...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen