Discuss Plasterer telling me it's OK to tile onto bonding coat just polyBond it first in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Sorry for asking a question that I already think i know the answer to but I just need confirmation from some wise heads here.

I recently carried out some work and a plasterer came in to plaster a chimney breast floor to wall. when he finished the job i noticed he had used a bonding coat which he applied at a thickness which came out to the full depth of the pvc corner edge strips with no space left for any skim. He was aware that it was my intention to tile the chimney breast as id shown him the tiles, which are 1200mm x 600mm so are quite heavy. He assured me that it was fine to tile on the bonding, just to leave it for 48 hours to dry.

i did some searches, read the posts here and elsewhere and the consensus seems to be that you never tile on a bonding coat. To confirm i checked with the makers of the bonding coat and they also say no.

I contacted the plasterer who called out again and said that its on quite thick, that a thin layer of skim placed on top couldnt be stronger and when i mentioned that the bonding coat would crack as the adhesive hardened as well as suck out the moisture from the adhesive he said i should give it a coat of polybond. Isn't Polybond a PVA and as such even worse to place under tiles??

what should i be doing here? any advice would be greatly appreciated..

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Please contribute to this thread if you have any new information or can even just reiterate what has been said already. :)
Sorry for asking a question that I already think i know the answer to but I just need confirmation from some wise heads here.

I recently carried out some work and a plasterer came in to plaster a chimney breast floor to wall. when he finished the job i noticed he had used a bonding coat which he applied at a thickness which came out to the full depth of the pvc corner edge strips with no space left for any skim. He was aware that it was my intention to tile the chimney breast as id shown him the tiles, which are 1200mm x 600mm so are quite heavy. He assured me that it was fine to tile on the bonding, just to leave it for 48 hours to dry.

i did some searches, read the posts here and elsewhere and the consensus seems to be that you never tile on a bonding coat. To confirm i checked with the makers of the bonding coat and they also say no.

I contacted the plasterer who called out again and said that its on quite thick, that a thin layer of skim placed on top couldnt be stronger and when i mentioned that the bonding coat would crack as the adhesive hardened as well as suck out the moisture from the adhesive he said i should give it a coat of polybond. Isn't Polybond a PVA and as such even worse to place under tiles??

what should i be doing here? any advice would be greatly appreciated..
Doesn’t really matter as you might find those tiles are too heavy for skimmed walls.

Reply to Plasterer telling me it's OK to tile onto bonding coat just polyBond it first in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Matthew77
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks