Search the forum,

Discuss Old Victorian floor tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

Tenchman

Send pics when you get them just finshed a geometric restoration and new geometric install at a town hall in lIncoln be interested to see them Ta!:thumbsup:

Y

Yorkshire Tiling Services

Would be amazed to known how long and how these floors were laid, no special tools in them days.

T

Tenchman

Still waiting on wheels so can look in on forum .

Hi YTS, the tiles if they are Victorian = multi coloured geometric shapes possibly with a pattern on them ? these are made in moulds so they didn't need to cut them (like 1,200 pieces i recently did ) if they did need to cut they used either a chisel to cut a line then tapped the back with a hammer, cut shapes would have been done by back edging. most tilers arn't taught these methods.

if they needed cutting to be done they always had steam to belt drive cutting or grinding wheels. they were pretty good in the day.

hope that helps.

R

Richard Edwards

Hi - Its a passion of mind and also a living !

Please send photo's asap

Thanks Richard

R

Richard Edwards

Just an added thought. Tenchman says that they used to score a line on the tile with a chisel and tap the back -- We still do sometimes, although I will use a manual cutter ie TS60 to score and tap the back of the tile whilst its resting on my knee. You can also use a glass cutter / score wheel to same effect. This method is quicker and good on large traingular cuts from a square.

Bearing in mind in the period 1860/1905 ish they where layed on either black ash subbase or lime mortar and the tiles themselves were layed on to a wet mortar screed. If you compare the results we achieve today with modern adhesives and polymers etc and whilst we ought to out perform for finish / flat etc we don't always do better. That said, spacing was sometimes too tight and pattern running out occurred.

More pics please

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Still waiting on wheels so can look in on forum .

Hi YTS, the tiles if they are Victorian = multi coloured geometric shapes possibly with a pattern on them ? these are made in moulds so they didn't need to cut them (like 1,200 pieces i recently did ) if they did need to cut they used either a chisel to cut a line then tapped the back with a hammer, cut shapes would have been done by back edging. most tilers arn't taught these methods.

if they needed cutting to be done they always had steam to belt drive cutting or grinding wheels. they were pretty good in the day.

hope that helps.

That was the only method of cutting when I served my time Steve. I can still get a perfect cut using pin hammer & tungsten tip chisel:thumbsup:

T

Tenchman

Same Here Phil, tiles were soaked in a plasterers tin bath, we used to have to put them down into slurry bed over a green screed.

back edge with a pin hammer snips were useless no decent wetcuts blimey lots of tilers sub 35 years of age would pass out with the crap we had! and worse for me as i was a Tyler-Mason so doing big stone as well.

The mortar used to lift your fingernails off in the winter and split the ends of your fingers so they dripped with blood.

:yikes:

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Same Here Phil, tiles were soaked in a plasterers tin bath, we used to have to put them down into slurry bed over a green screed.

back edge with a pin hammer snips were useless no decent wetcuts blimey lots of tilers sub 35 years of age would pass out with the crap we had! and worse for me as i was a Tyler-Mason so doing big stone as well.

The mortar used to lift your fingernails off in the winter and split the ends of your fingers so they dripped with blood.

:yikes:

The good old days eh Steve, breaking the ice on the soaking drums mid- winter. Happy days:lol:

Reply to Old Victorian floor tiling in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen