Search the forum,

Discuss Old plaster came away, render looks solid and flat what do i need to seal it with prior to tiling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

P

paul cumpo

Hi All,
Have just started removing the tiles in an old bathroom and the plaster is coming off with the old tiles but the render remains in tact and in decent condition, the surface appears to be solid, dry and flat.
Do I need to apply a primer prior to tiling? is a fairly wet room so don't want to make any errors in preparation but also on a fairly tight budget.
Added a photo of the area.
Thanks in advance for any advise.
Paul

20180121_155409.jpg

Q

Qwerty

Remove all plaster down to render. Brush or vacuum down, seal with an acrylic primer or SBR and then tank if required

P

paul cumpo

yeah it could be a first skim of plaster, ideally wanted to seal it then tile straight onto it, would have been there years.

P

paul cumpo

so am I better applying a thin top coat to it before plastering or do I need to remove it all and board, assuming the 2nd one is the most costly

Reply to Old plaster came away, render looks solid and flat what do i need to seal it with prior to tiling? in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen