Discuss Old cracked screed over floorboards, can I just remove it? in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Got a hallway and utility to tile (1920's semi), hallway is normal floorboards and then goes into utility but changes to an old 40mm screed. This is cracked badly and parts are loose, under the utility is a celler and when you go down you can clearly see the bottom of the utility floor which is just a normal joists with old thick floorboards.

The screed is in really bad condition and needs to come up so can I just remove it and build up the 40mm (so its level with the hallway) in ply and timber?

What was the original purpose of the screed?

C

Colour Republic

the utility was maybe an old larder with stone floor. Somebody has wacked some sand and cement down when the stone/tiled floor was removed to level up to the other floor... and did a bad job of it or it would still be in one piece

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ditto both the above. Take up the screed. There are several options for reinstatement depending on what you want for the future from the floor

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice, the screed has a mound in the middle which is cracked from wall to wall and the straight edge is like a see saw. I'm thinking take the screed up and possibly the old floorboards, beef everything up with noggins, battens and 18mm ply and then hardiebacker.

I want to end up with same level cement boards continuing through to the hallway, tiles are 30mm x 30mm porcelain.

Reply to Old cracked screed over floorboards, can I just remove it? in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks