Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Ok so I made a mistake. Cutting a tile while it’s on the wall? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Ok so I embarked upon my first tile job the other day.
it went really well and I’m happy with it.
As far as I can see I made one stupid mistake.
I haven’t taken enough out around the sockets and I can’t get my sockets back on. I need to take around 5mm off the tiles along the bottom of the sockets. BALLS.
Any tips on this? I was either going to scribe it with a tile scribe and straight edge, or feather it down and my angle grinder. A bit scared of the angle grinder because of the dust in my kitchen.

Reaction score
If it was me, I would use the grinder with someone else holding a hoover to catch the dust but you've got to be really careful cutting a tile once fixed as it could jump and mark the surrounding tiles, if you've got a good blade and they're ceramic tiles then it should be pretty straight forward.

Imo you've got more chance of slipping and marking another tile with a tile scribe and straight edge.

OP
H
Reaction score
If it was me, I would use the grinder with someone else holding a hoover to catch the dust but you've got to be really careful cutting a tile once fixed as it could jump and mark the surrounding tiles, if you've got a good blade and they're ceramic tiles then it should be pretty straight forward.

Imo you've got more chance of slipping and marking another tile with a tile scribe and straight edge.
They are ceramic tiles with a good blade. I also just thought, what about a multi tool with a tile blade? I might have more control.

Tony_C

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Depending on just how much you need to trim you could probably use a drill bit /finger mill to get the excess of seeng as it's only ceramic

Reply to Ok so I made a mistake. Cutting a tile while it’s on the wall? in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock