Discuss Cutting or drilling 4 inch whole in porcelain tiles on the wall in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

rafal1

-
Reaction score
Hi. I wonder if you can advise me. I need 4 inch hole drilled through the wall to install new toilet waste pipe. The wall is partially brick, partially plasterboard on timber framework (see photo). The wall is tiled with extremely hard porcelain tiles 450 x 450mm. I have been advised that there is a strong possibility that the tiles may crack or came off the wall during the drilling process especially because of the plasterboard on timber construction.
I would like to know if cutting a square hole in the tiles and then drilling through the brick wall is a safer option (i presume an angle grinder would not cause vibrations)

tia

Rafal

20200611_105235~2.jpg

Reaction score
Just take your time and don't apply too much pressure. As long as the tiles were installed to a good standard you should be fine.

Imo theres just as much vibration from a grinder as a hole cutter. A grinder would be quicker though.

If your installing a back to wall toilet with a concealed waste I would just grind it as theres enough to hide the square hole. Just make sure you use some type of dust extraction on the grinder

rafal1

-
Reaction score
Just take your time and don't apply too much pressure. As long as the tiles were installed to a good standard you should be fine.

Imo theres just as much vibration from a grinder as a hole cutter. A grinder would be quicker though.

If your installing a back to wall toilet with a concealed waste I would just grind it as theres enough to hide the square hole. Just make sure you use some type of dust extraction on the grinder

Thank you very much!

Reply to Cutting or drilling 4 inch whole in porcelain tiles on the wall in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks