Discuss Fired Earth, Hearth tiles ... cracked! ... in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Dear TilersForum
Thank you so much for the outstanding advice and expert information over time.
I have been tiling for some years part-time … however I kneel at this alter of greater Tiling experience and knowledge.

I took on what I thought was a very simple quick job. A few tiles in a hearth for a 'very close friend'.
They're about to have a stove installed … they splashed out on £31 each Fired Earth tiles. A porcelain tile named 'Furnace iron'. 590x590x8mm

I wanted there to be as few grout joints visible, so I cut the 2 tiles down by a 100mm, to achieve a single centre line, which cut perfectly on my rubi TS60.
I then went to cut out a square … I was going to angle grind out the short length first, then rubi cut the longer length.
Angle grinder is a Makita GA4530R 720W, with porcelain diamond cutting blade, practically brand new.
As I was 30mm in … I felt it go … there was a hair line crack going into the tile. (Made me feel sick)
I explained to the customer.
Not wanting to risk snapping the entire tile, I angle grinded the long length too, and it survived.
Exactly the same thing happened on the 2nd tile … hair line crack in exactly the same point.
Customer had only bought 2 tiles. I think there is a fault in the tile … if we bought 2 more tiles I predict exactly the same thing would happen.
I specifically told them to keep the tiles indoors, as with colder temperatures, I remember porcelain tiles not cutting obediently in v cold temps.

Customer emailed Fired Earth … there technical advisor emailed a reply "An angle grinder is never to be used on tiles. There is nothing wrong with these tiles. I would expect them to break like this if an angle grinder was used on them... I would recommend using a wet saw"

Having looked on their website … In actual fact their technical information sheet, says the following:
"Due to the thickness and make-up of the majority of our floor tiles, it is recommended that either a
diamond cutter or an angle grinder is used to cut the tiles"

I've attached photo's of correspondence and of the tiles, it's difficult to see the hairline cracks … one tile completely cracked(!) as I installed it
I'm gutted … it's the first ever real fail I've had tiling … the customer is disappointed but the stove will almost cover the cracks.
I couldn't find any Fired Earth representation on TilersForum … which surprised me, unless I've not searched correctly.

I thought this might be worthy of sharing with the forum … and would value any feedback.
I'm going to be very cautious about working with Fired Earth tiles again … firstly because of they're cost. And there's no doubt in my mind that these Furnace Iron tiles are flawed. I've cut 1000's of porcelain tiles. And the customer feedback response is … well Wrong.

Thanks again for this brilliant forum

Attachments

• tilersforum.zip
    707.7 KB · Views: 28
Reaction score
typical fired earth, get back on to them and say your own web site says its ok to use a grinder,
I agree ... I’ve sent the link from their website to the customer and they are replying, I think it’s outrageous to declare “never to use an angle grinder”

Reaction score
typical fired earth, get back on to them and say your own web site says its ok to use a grinder,

Update

Customer did this as you rightly suggest, showing them their website quote that I had sent a screenshot of
Fired Earth called this morning and gave a Full Refund for tiles
Credit where it’s due, that is fare.
However ... I believe Fired Earths website is going to be updated to state that “you should never use an angle grinder on their tiles
Which I think is a fascinating discussion for this forum ... will more Tile suppliers state something like this in their clauses.
Sometimes buying very expensive bespoke tiles means they’re more delicate in nature than mass produced tiles ... Tilers need to be alert I would suggest
[automerge]1606946754[/automerge]
Update

Customer replied, showing them their website quote that I had sent a screenshot of
Fired Earth called this morning and gave a Full Refund for tiles
Credit where it’s due, that is fare.
However ... I believe Fired Earths website is going to be updated to state that “you should never use an angle grinder on their tiles”
Which I think is a fascinating discussion for this forum ... will more Tile suppliers state something like this in their clauses.
Sometimes buying very expensive bespoke tiles means they’re more delicate in nature than mass produced tiles ...

Tilers need to be alert to this I would suggest

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
That's a nice win.

winning charlie sheen GIF

^^^^ these might get annoying quickly lol

Reply to Fired Earth, Hearth tiles ... cracked! ... in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks