Search the forum,

Discuss Newly laid porcelain floor tiles over UFH, showing lines, in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

Reaction score
new porcelain floor tiles laid 4 weeks ago over new electric heating matts. Heating only connected a week ago and dark lines showing on most tiles?

possible causes? Any help/ guidance appreciated. Laid by tiler not DIY.
View attachment 114140
We had a similar issue on a job. We were brought in to investigate for insurance purposes.
1.There was no membrane put down onto the new concrete flooring and the moisture came through from the concrete into the grey adhesive and stained the tiles.
2. The tiles weren't fitted correctly many where dot and dabbed there was actually pools of moisture when we lifted the tile.
3. The tiles where laid onto concrete that was new and hadn't been allowed to cure and dry long enough.
Hope this help

Reaction score
We had a similar issue on a job. We were brought in to investigate for insurance purposes.
1.There was no membrane put down onto the new concrete flooring and the moisture came through from the concrete into the grey adhesive and stained the tiles.
2. The tiles weren't fitted correctly many where dot and dabbed there was actually pools of moisture when we lifted the tile.
3. The tiles where laid onto concrete that was new and hadn't been allowed to cure and dry long enough.
Hope this help
Thanks for that.

the kitchen was extended so part old floor part new, there was a DPM but down on new floor,. New floor was a quick set of about a week, but was left for some 6 weeks before anything went down onto it, however the lines are on tiles on both old and new floor so,fairly sure It’s not the floor. I assume that’s a reasonable assumption?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Arms
Esteemed
Subscribed
Reaction score
Thanks for that.

the kitchen was extended so part old floor part new, there was a DPM but down on new floor,. New floor was a quick set of about a week, but was left for some 6 weeks before anything went down onto it, however the lines are on tiles on both old and new floor so,fairly sure It’s not the floor. I assume that’s a reasonable assumption?
It’s the adhesive, sorry but simple as that.

Reaction score
new porcelain floor tiles laid 4 weeks ago over new electric heating matts. Heating only connected a week ago and dark lines showing on most tiles?

View attachment 114140
My guess is that the SLC didn't lose it's required moisture content prior to tiling, and everybody just carried own piling down more stuff and trapping more moisture...
Put a carpet over it,

Reaction score
My guess is that the SLC didn't lose it's required moisture content prior to tiling, and everybody just carried own piling down more stuff and trapping more moisture...
Put a carpet over it,
Really? Most self levelling screed is ok to cover in 24 hours or less. This was screened one morning and tiling did not start till following day and took a further 4 days to complete yet lines are on all tiles pretty much, certainly all full size tilesz

Shaun

TF
Reaction score

View attachment 114140
Hi, that looks to me like adhesive bleed through the tile. If you look closely enough you can see the lines correspond to the trowel that was used to lay the adhesive. This is due to a couple of reasons.. 1) Grey adhesive used instead of white. 2) No back buttering of the tile prior to laying it onto the adhesive ridges. 3) The adhesive ridges have not been collapsed and that's the lines you can clearly see.

Sadly, this is something you are probably going to have to live with if you don't wish to relay the floor correcrly.

Reaction score
Really? Most self levelling screed is ok to cover in 24 hours or less. This was screened one morning and tiling did not start till following day and took a further 4 days to complete yet lines are on all tiles pretty much, certainly all full size tilesz
Yeah, you're probably right, dependant on temp. Are they fully vitrified porcelain tiles?

I've changed my mind to the incorrect installation of the UFH wires and/or waiting times before it was turned on.

It could be excessive heat due to the UFH installer ordering too much mat and overlaying (not allowable) or a rapid heating of the mat/cable which has caused a premature curing of the background.

How much faith do you hold with the tiler you employed?

Reaction score
Yeah, you're probably right, dependant on temp. Are they fully vitrified porcelain tiles?

I've changed my mind to the incorrect installation of the UFH wires and/or waiting times before it was turned on.

It could be excessive heat due to the UFH installer ordering too much mat and overlaying (not allowable) or a rapid heating of the mat/cable which has caused a premature curing of the background.

How much faith do you hold with the tiler you employed?
Hi
saw the mats down and no overlapping..once UFH turned on was only set at a ro9m temp of 20 degrees, floor temp never much above 14 deg,

he was meticulous with each tile is all I can say , as not had this work done before.
not sure if vitrified as just described as porcelain, was not aware of the term vitrified until recently .

Reaction score
Hi
saw the mats down and no overlapping..once UFH turned on was only set at a ro9m temp of 20 degrees, floor temp never much above 14 deg,

he was meticulous with each tile is all I can say , as not had this work done before.
not sure if vitrified as just described as porcelain, was not aware of the term vitrified until recently .
They are not cowboys for sure , do a lot of bathrooms especially, and seemed to know what they were doing.

bit of a nightmare as not sure whether to give it some time fade, they are checking with their adhesive suppler as never had this before.

Reply to Newly laid porcelain floor tiles over UFH, showing lines, in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen