Discuss NEW MEMBERS: Please introduce yourself in this forum category - Most of us don't bite. :) in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Good day all. Getting back on the wagon after many years of walk about .Look forward to catching up with new products, accessories and regulations.

Reaction score
Hi, thanks for the welcome. Just a DIY'er looking for hints and tips to make life easier. Look forward to sharing the results and hope you all approve!

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
Hi all;
Just discovered this forum looking for a formula for making some patching compound for a floor job I am doing in my home (350 sq.ft.).
I have been tiling for about fifty years, learning the trade from my father, and passing it on to my son. I retired about three years ago, but have done two bathrooms and an entry for a neighbor (master bath is up next) also some work for a builder up the street.
I have about 20-30 relatives in the tile business.
I live in SW NC, USA and have only a Lowe's near by. The Home Depot is about 22 miles away.
The only patching compound they carry only comes in 7lb tube and is about $9.00
I need to patch some areas of the sub floor, before installing Durock cement board.
Some of the areas are 3/4" plywood over 3/4" OSB and some other areas are 3/4" particle board over OSB.
I was thinking of making some out of Portland, sand and (dry) drywall compound.
any ideas of what ratios, or some other suggestions?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi all;
Just discovered this forum looking for a formula for making some patching compound for a floor job I am doing in my home (350 sq.ft.).
I have been tiling for about fifty years, learning the trade from my father, and passing it on to my son. I retired about three years ago, but have done two bathrooms and an entry for a neighbor (master bath is up next) also some work for a builder up the street.
I have about 20-30 relatives in the tile business.
I live in SW NC, USA and have only a Lowe's near by. The Home Depot is about 22 miles away.
The only patching compound they carry only comes in 7lb tube and is about $9.00
I need to patch some areas of the sub floor, before installing Durock cement board.
Some of the areas are 3/4" plywood over 3/4" OSB and some other areas are 3/4" particle board over OSB.
I was thinking of making some out of Portland, sand and (dry) drywall compound.
any ideas of what ratios, or some other suggestions?
Welcome 👍👍

is your drywall compound gypsum based. ?

hk940

Arms
Reaction score
Good read , we’ve (uk) were taught not to mix portland cement to gypsum or apply cement based adhesives to gypsum based substrates without suitable primers. Reading your link is interesting, a difference in products in the USA.
It looks like Mapei is a common brand over there. I have used it many times tiling right over "Sheetrock" (AKA as gypsum or drywall). We have several other brands here in the USA. Tec, Laticrete, Custom building products and others. All said it could be used over "Sheetrock'. It would depend which tile supplier I was buying from, each had there own supplier.

D

Deleted member 56784

Hi,

I work for Norcros Adhesive in South/Mid Wales and Midlands, and ive been in the industry for 18 years.

Im happy to answer any questions on our products or even if you just want some advice. Please feel free to send me a message and ill see how i can help you.

JonesP

-
Reaction score
Hi, our forum runs on passion. And we hope you're here to join in.

Please leave your tiling questions for the main forums. But post a quick introduction about why you're here, where you found us, whether you're pro or DIY, what kind of job you've got on, that kind of thing.

Expect the tilers to ask some questions about it. But please do leave the main tiling advice bits to the main forums. And feel free to link to those from your introduction thread to help them guide you there also.
[automerge]1606578894[/automerge]
Hi everyone, I am hoping to pick a few of you guys brains on a full bathroom fitting that I have just started. Cheers Paul in South Wales UK.

Reaction score
Hi all! Nice to finally be a part of this great community. Love the forum for it's great guidance, advice, tips and tricks! I'm not a professional tradesperson by any standard, but I'm a fairly competent DIYer and enjoy learning new skills and the sense of achivement of doing things myself.

Why I'm here: I hired a builder 2 years ago to undertake a new outbuilding construction, a loft conversion, a single storey extension and a full house refurb. After building the outbuilding, it was clear he wasn't up to the job. He didn't have any consistent staff, they were mainly just weekend warriors or labourers he had coerced into doing the work of skilled tradespeople. So we parted ways halfway through the project. Since then I've been reasearching and learning how to pick up the pieces to get things finished. With the help of my father in law, we've made good, the plumbing, data cabling, electrics, GRP Roof, soffits, fascias, guttering, insulation, laid underfloor heating, arranged liquid screeding as well as a bunch of other little tasks here and there.
Luckily I've found some amazing builders now and they're just nearing completion of a stellar job on the loft conversion, but you get what you pay for and they're not cheap, so I'm still looking for some tasks I can undertake myself (with some help if needed) to try and save money wherever possible without interrupting the great work of the new builders.

Tiling Tasks: I've got 4 bathrooms to tile in total. 1 is part of the loft conversion and has just been completed by professional tilers organised by our builders. It looks great but I'm keen to have a go at some tiling myself, so I'd like to explore the possibility of doing the next bathroom DIY.

Thanks again for having me onboard!

Reaction score
Hi there everyone. Seasons greetings to all This forum is wonderful! And it is so only because the members are amazing.
I'm a homeowner. Wishing for a floor makeover of my indoor main living areas. Need advice about the tile I really like and chose. Wondering if the new eco-tech 600X600X8mm floor tiles are any good? Would really appreciate some good advice here https://www.tilersforums.com/conver...-needed-re-8mm-thick-floor-tile.494615/unread

Reaction score
Hi All been tiling over 40 years, and still love the trade, small contractors based in Leicestershire.
Torquay United supporter for my sins, hope you are all busy and take care.
Dean

Reply to NEW MEMBERS: Please introduce yourself in this forum category - Most of us don't bite. :) in the The Welcome Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks