Discuss New En-suite leaking - Grout is cracked and colour bleeds in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

AVAYA

Hi all

Am new to this, just had my en-suite ripped out and replaced, tiles are floor to ceiling, all seemed ok until this week, shower leaking through to living room ceiling with orange stain. I have noticed some of the grout is cracked around the base near the shower tray, quite large cracks almost as if the grout has shrunk. The grout feels quite rough and look a bit like mud, very gritty texture. I was told it was supposed to look like this.

Grout is the colour pebble - medium biscuit colour and it is bleeding into the tray when showering and staining it.

Firstly, should the colour bleed like that, and secondly why has the grout cracked so soon, literally no more than 5 showers before the problem started?

The corners of the shower seamed to be sealed with a silicone type material in the same colour as the grout, although this doesn't look great, am not too bothered as only replaced to sell the house but obviousley cannot leave the leaks as they are

Any help would be greatly appreciated, the guys who fitted it all are coming back tonight to look at this

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Avaya,

Welcome to the forum. This doesn't sound too good!

I've literally just popped back home to pick up some materials i couldn't transport to site this morning, so i've not got a lort of time. Could you provide a couple of pictures to assit us in helping you.

Do you know what prep work was done with the floor and walls before tiling?
Was the floor overboarded, replaced, or tiled directly onto?
How are your walls constructed, was the wet area tanked with a paintable waterproof coat or a tanking sheet?
Around the shower tray has any of the silicone split, or does the tray show any obvious sign of movement?
Where is the stained sealling in relation to the shower tray. I.E directly below etc.

That should keep you going for now. Pictures will help massively. I'll be home around 5:30pm but i'm sure there will be others on between now and then to help.

A

AVAYA

Hi
Thanks for the replies, I will try and take pictures tonight, I have no idea what prep work was done, the crack is from the bottom layer of tiles and run upwards vertically. The bi-fold door is also on the wrong way meaning when you turn the shower on it is hitting this particular section of the shower, the back wall.

afright

TF
Reaction score
Hi,what size are the tiles ? and also it might be an idea to check the shower control if it is fitted in the wall I've had this before were its leaked thru the ceiling and it turn out to be the control and not the tiles,and as for the grout was this coloured when purchased or has a colour dye been added.

Last edited:

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
Hi
Thanks for the replies, I will try and take pictures tonight, I have no idea what prep work was done, the crack is from the bottom layer of tiles and run upwards vertically. The bi-fold door is also on the wrong way meaning when you turn the shower on it is hitting this particular section of the shower, the back wall.

I'm a little confused when you say the wrong way. Is the bi-fold fitted in a recessed shower. I.E wall to wall? Does it open inwards still?

I'll look forward to your pictures. They'll definately help.

Reply to New En-suite leaking - Grout is cracked and colour bleeds in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks