Search the forum,

Discuss New Bathroom Guidance in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

C

champ222

Hi all

Plans are afoot for a new bathroom.

currently, the whole room is tiled (diy job by the previous occupants....about 30 years ago by the looks of it). I am planning to remove the existing tiles, and re-tile the whole room.

i'm thinking white metro tiles with dark grey grout, with maybe a border/trim around the wall... perhaps a row of dark grey metro tiles.

Are these tiles of reasonable quality (apologies if the link goes against the rules) ?

Metro White Wall Tiles 10 x 20cm - Stonetrader.co.uk

The walls in my house are a little odd. External walls are 3 plys of plasterboard bonded together (19mm plus 2x 12mm) and supported at the top and the bottom.... no studs. Internal walls are prefabricated 9mm plasterboard held apart by wooden struts and like a cardboard honeycomb/eggbox type of filling. Apologies for the rubbish description, but the point is I cannot rip the plasterboard down and replace with new, so I will have to remove the existing adhesive the best I can. what is the best method for this?

The bath will be up against the main wall. this is an Interior wall, the wall is approx. 2 metres long, the bath will be a double ended bath, centered on this wall, and boxed in at either end. the shower will be a drencher coming out the ceiling to the middle of the bath. so the shower head will be in the center of a 2 metre wall. therefore, I was thinking that i'd only really need to treat this wall for shower purposes, rather than the side walls which would be a metre away both sides. does this sound reasonable?

for this wall, I had though about facing the whole wall with hardiebacker board, attaching it to the existing wall with a combination of screws into the wooden posts, screws using plasterboard drive in fixings, and a suitable adhesive. fit the bath in front of this wall, and tile straight onto this wall. I figured this may be a good plan, since it will give (if the hardiebacker product info is correct) a waterproof wall that is perfect for tiling onto.

Does this seem like a sensible plan?

Thanks

W

White Room

Can't remember what the external wall combination is called but as you say leave well alone and the paramount boards are left alone as well. The fixing your talking about are 1200 apart with the paramount as far as I can remember.
Your tiles may not leave any adhesive on the board, worth trying and see what damage it may leave.

C

champ222

Hi Whitebeam. Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, paramount boards are the internal walls. its this I was hoping to attach the hardiebacker board to, so I could have a waterproof surface to tile onto. just need to figure out a way to do it properly. Ive just seen some other threads about this very problem, but they tend to end with no news on the results. The external walls shouldn't really cause too much of an issue.

Thanks

J

Joseph Kover

Regardless of Existing or new wall, I go over with fibre mesh with flexible rapid adhesive mixed with ultra tile primer. Nothing ever comes off from that wall.

O

Old Mod

And to add........ Hardiebacker is NOT waterproof, it's uneffected by moisture, it'll need tanking to form a waterproof barrier.

Reply to New Bathroom Guidance in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Water Damaged Shower Repairs Shower tile repair – water damage – tile waterproofing Do you...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen