Search the forum,

Discuss Mapei Primer G dilution - self levelling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Andrew W

Hello

I'll be laying some ceramic floor tiles on top of self levelling compound, I've got some Mapei Primer G but I'm not sure if I should dilute it.

Instructions say:

Before tiling on gypsum it says to apply neat, ( does this apply on top of self levelling?)

Also says do NOT apply in such a quantity that it forms a surface film, dilute with water as appropriate for the absorption of the substrate. Obviously self levelling compound is highly absorptive.

I did apply it neat but it didn't get absorbed into the self levelling as I scraped some up later when it was dry, should it be absorbed as it scraped up really easy and I'm confused?

Thanks

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Is your primer quite old because I would swear they changed the instructions to say dilute primer g

A

Andrew W

The date on the bottle is March 2014.

The instructions on the small 1kg bottle aren't sufficient really and they don't say whether to dilute it or not, just to apply.

But the online PDF does say to apply neat when applying the primer on top of gypsum before tiling.

A

Andrew W

Well, just rang Mapei and spoke to someone in the technical department.

They say if I'm tiling on top of self levelling compound then I don't need to apply any primer before tiling.

He said the Primer G could've been applied before laying the self levelling.

You would think self levelling was similar to gysum where the pdf does say to use a primer. :whatchutalk:

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
The date on the bottle is March 2014.

The instructions on the small 1kg bottle aren't sufficient really and they don't say whether to dilute it or not, just to apply.

But the online PDF does say to apply neat when applying the primer on top of gypsum before tiling.

Ok.

A

Andrew W

I thought I may aswell phone Mapei Technical who said that you can tile directly on top of the self levelling without applying their Primer G product.

Then I came off the phone and I was thinking he never asked anything about the self leveller, I know the primer is for applying over gypsum and anhydrite based products.

So I diluted some and applied it, it cannot do any harm.

Thank you

W

White Room

if the self leveling has just been laid then you would be fine but if it's been down a while then I prime before fixing any tiles.

S

Stef

I always prime slc before I tile, it's only to remove any dust & to give me a better key onto the surface.
It won't do any harm to prime.

Reply to Mapei Primer G dilution - self levelling in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen