Discuss Light weight adhesives in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

L

LM

Light weight adhesives!
For those of you that have used them enough to have an informed opinion what’s the pros and cons vs standard addy?
I’m interested to see what the consensus is out there.

D

Dumbo

Magix , I can't my head around it . If it expands when wet does it shrink when it's dry ,
Interested to know how many litres it makes when mixed compared to standard ,

L

LM

Magix , I can't my head around it . If it expands when wet does it shrink when it's dry ,
Interested to know how many litres it makes when mixed compared to standard ,
Well Jerry there are brands of adhesive out there that aren’t available easily for me and I’m keen to hear the views across the board. I’m wondering if they’re any good with LFT on floors etc or if there’s been many failures if any for example.

F

Flintstone

It's funny Lee I was going to start a light weight adhesive thread myself to ask a similar question.
I've used magix on several occasions and it's plus points are it wets out easier then the standard equivalent, setaflex.
It doesn't seem as sticky and seems to dry out quicker if that makes sense to you.
I've not used any others really, except that lightweight from TM but only once.

D

Dumbo

Well Jerry there are brands of adhesive out there that aren’t available easily for me and I’m keen to hear the views across the board. I’m wondering if they’re any good with LFT on floors etc or if there’s been many failures if any for example.
Whats lft .
It's funny Lee I was going to start a light weight adhesive thread myself to ask a similar question.
I've used magix on several occasions and it's plus points are it wets out easier then the standard equivalent, setaflex.
It doesn't seem as sticky and seems to dry out quicker if that makes sense to you.
I've not used any others really, except that lightweight from TM but only once.
What was the yield like .

F

Flintstone

Large format tiles.

I did a test with magix and it did exactly 4.5 sq m with a 10mm trowel and a back skim.

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
The way they make light weight adhesives is to remove the sand and replace with a lighter weight aggregate. I am sure it is a bit more complex than that, but that is the general method. So for example a 15Kg light weight adhesive and a 20Kg 'heavy' adhesive will have the same volume and hence the same coverage. da da!

D

Dumbo

The way they make light weight adhesives is to remove the sand and replace with a lighter weight aggregate. I am sure it is a bit more complex than that, but that is the general method. So for example a 15Kg light weight adhesive and a 20Kg 'heavy' adhesive will have the same volume and hence the same coverage. da da!
So you have never seen a bag of magix then it's nowhere near the size of a 20k standard .

Tile Fix Direct

TF
TF Official Sponsor
Reaction score
I have checked with BAL (Supercover) and they confirmed that when mixed the volumes on Supercover and a 'standard' 20Kg bag are the same. I also rang Tilemaster and their explanation was very strange. They said the mixed volume of Magix is similar, but slightly less than a 20Kg 'standard' bag, but it goes the same because of the glass beads. I struggle to see how this works. If the mixed volume is less and your trowel is the same then you will spread the same volume per m2, so it should not spread as far. OK, if the adhesive is super smooth you will perhaps waste less, but surely not by a significant amount. Perhaps that is why they call it Magic.

Boggs

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I definitely couldn’t get Magix to go as far as Setaflex, both used in the same room. ;)

Reply to Light weight adhesives in the Adhesive and Grout area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks