Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss levelling floor with big holes in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

A

albert222

Any advice please . I have a kitchen floor (5mx5m) The kitchen is in the basement of my house ..The floor is concrete . I removed a brick floor from it , the bricks were 4mm thick. The concrete is dry (it has a DPC within it) , but the concrete has many holes in it they are a maximum of 5mm deep ,as a result of taking up the bricks . It is also very dry and powdery I want to lay a new floor in this room without loosing much head room , as the ceiling is low . how can I prepare the floor for vinyl tiles or engineed wood please without loosing the minimum of head room . Many thanks

M

Mike Mike

Albert, I am a tiler and I also lay vinyl, homogenous PVC, safety floors, marmoleum, linoleum etc. So this is the way to do it (ASSUMING that the DPC in the screed has not been damaged, otherwise you will need to paint on a liquid DPM after you have followed the steps below and then trowel over it with smoothing compound a second time).

You sand your screed with a rotary floor machine.

Vacuum it.

Prime it with a suitable acrylic primer.

Go round and fill in all the deep / large holes with Smoothing Compound using a lage taping knife.

Wait 30 minutes for it to start to harden. Then trowel over the whole floor with Uzin Smoothing Compound, trowelled 1 - 2mm thick. I use Uzin NC 181
Englund Gruppen

Wait 60 minutes for it to completely dry, then sand over it again with the rotary floor machine. (If any of the deeper holes are not completely dry, you can accelerate drying with a Leister hot air gun).

Your floor is now ready to recieve whatever kind of finished floor covering you want, and your head room will be, at worst, 1mm lower than it was before.

You can rent rotary floor machines but to be honest, if you go onto the Flooring Forum and post up a request for quote to perform what I just described above, someone I am certain will come round and do it for you in half a day for less money (and less hassle) than you renting the machine yourself, buying primer and smoothing compound.

Half a day, that's all it should take.

Good luck!

A

albert222

Thank you so much for your advice. I will look for somebody to do this work for me.

If anyone knows anyone that's good at this in central London that would be great.

They'll get the job of laying the finished flooring as well.

Thanks again,
Albert

Reply to levelling floor with big holes in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks