Search the forum,

Discuss Laying and sealing Tavella Anticata terracotta tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

tommymcgough

Hi all

I have spent a bit of time looking at the website and have found it very useful for general information and tips (for which thank you). This is my first post. I am having a new kitchen floor laid with Tavella Anticata terracotta tiles from Terrafirma Tiles ). Terrafirma say these tiles are less porous and more hardwearing than typical Mexican or Spanish terracotta. I’ve got a professional tiler who will be doing the work, but would really appreciate your views on a few points, for my own knowledge.

Substrate:

The tiles are to be laid on two layers of 18mm ply screwed directly onto the suspended ground floor joists. What would you recommend for preparation of the ply, in terms of whether a primer is needed and if so which one?

Adhesive/grout:

We knew we were going to be tiling this floor, so have been careful to make sure that the ply is level and solid (hence the double thickness). However, I want to minimise the risk of cracks in future, so I imagine flexible adhesive is the way to go. Does anyone have any recommendations for the best flexible adhesive to use with terracotta tiles on a ply substrate? Same goes for the grout – what is the best flexible grout to use with this type of tile?

Sealing:

Terrafirma have suggested sealing with Lithofin Classic Primer (which apparently is ‘thinner’ than normal linseed oil and will therefore be better absorbed by these less porous tiles) with beeswax and possibly Eversheen as the best way to bring out the colour of the tiles, which is something I am keen to do. However, I have read that oil and wax is more work to maintain (which needless to say I am less keen on) than the newer synthetic sealers.

As a synthetic option, they recommend HG impregnator followed by HG Golv or Bentens Protector Coat. This will apparently be less effective in bringing out the colour.

My questions are:

• Does anyone have any experience with these products? Are they any good?
  • Are there any synthetic sealer combinations which will do a reasonably good job of bringing out the colour of the tiles?
  • Is it possible to use Lithofin Classic Primer or some other linseed oil (to bring out the colour) followed by a synthetic top coat sealer (for easier maintenance)?
Sorry about the length of this post and thanks for your help.

Last edited by a moderator:
S

Spud

bentens sealer is the best terracotta sealer i have ever used it does bring the colour out and even the mexican saltilo tiles only need 3 coats and they are totally protected ,its really hard wearing too and needs less maintenance than the other sealers/impregnators you mentioned ,my advice is try a couple of sample tiles with the combinations recommended by the supplier and make up your own mind to which you prefer, all floors need regular maintenance if you want them looking good in the future

D

DHTiling

I agree with gary.. acrylic sealers / wax's etc are high maintenance and if this is not your cup of tea then you can use a suitable impregnator to enhance the colour and seal at the same time..

LTP Colour Intensifier and Stainblock

Description: Suitable for sealing wall and floor tiles and enhancing the natural colours, characteristics and appearance of travertine, quarry tiles, terracotta, brick, slate, flagstones, limestone, granite work-tops and tiles, terrazzo etc. with a matt finish. Provides effective resistance to staining from coffee, wine and other domestic fluids. Performs well in wet areas, including bathrooms and swimming pool surrounds. Maintain with LTP Waxwash on floors and LTP Stonewash on walls.

Tips: Suitable for interior and exterior use and on floors that have no damp proof course.

Technical Data Sheet (PDF)

this is one good one on the market..

Last edited by a moderator:
T

tommymcgough

Gary, Dave,

Thanks for your replies. I think I will go with the Bentens sealer. Do you have any views on whether primer is needed and the best adhesive and grout to use with terracotta?

Thanks

P

paul flight

if you use the goods that terrafirma suggest and do as they spec you would be better off. they supplied the tile they now best when it come to fixing and sealing them!!!!:thumbsup:

Reply to Laying and sealing Tavella Anticata terracotta tiles in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all! Just wondering what the best advice is for book-keeping? Been self employed now for a...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen