Discuss Laying 10mm tile in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Laying 10mm thick floor tiles on 6mm cement sheet underlay in the bathroom.
Will the metal edge trim also be 10mm inside depth?

Also the bathroom exits to the hall which has an oak timber floor. So the bathroom floor depth will be 16mm (tile+underlay) higher than the hallway floor. Would a10mm inside depth L shaped tile trim still be ok?
Or would I need to use a different profile trim to cover the 6mm cement sheet edge?
Or will this 6mm gap under the L shaped trim edge be corked?

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd use a slightly rounded / flat door strip that you screw to the sub floor so it becomes a small ramp. That small step otherwise is too small to notice as q step but too big to not trip up.

Some members make a nice wooden strip themselves and stain it to match the door if that's stained/ varnished.

Otherwise a 10mm L strip will be 10mm on the outside, not inside, i think.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Laying 10mm thick floor tiles on 6mm cement sheet underlay in the bathroom.
Will the metal edge trim also be 10mm inside depth?

Also the bathroom exits to the hall which has an oak timber floor. So the bathroom floor depth will be 16mm (tile+underlay) higher than the hallway floor. Would a10mm inside depth L shaped tile trim still be ok?
Or would I need to use a different profile trim to cover the 6mm cement sheet edge?
Or will this 6mm gap under the L shaped trim edge be corked?
You will be able to get a finishing trim to suit the hallway floor , leave a rebate of around 12mm and then glue the trim in situ. Its profiled as to suit the slight height difference, should be available from the wooden floor retailer

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Some of the independent tile shops will usually have a trader that only lays wooden or laminate flooring. These guys can normally make a door threshold to your exact requirements. Look at paying £50+ for this.

However, if you are handy you can pop down to Homebase and buy some profiled lengths of wood (usually softwood). You should be able to make your own and maybe stain it the same colour as your oak floor.

or
Buy a 16mm tile trim (special order) to cover your tile/adhesive/6mm cement board. 16mm is not a massive height difference as you normally walk across a door threshold not on it.

Reply to Laying 10mm tile in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
voltage2688
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks