Search the forum,

Discuss Impey Tilesafe Membrane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

John, I just tried to open the link I found for the Impey UK website, but it didn't work for me. I'm curious to learn if the Impey tanking product is a sheet membrane, a liquid, or something else?

Its a bitumen membrane Rob:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
R

Rob Z

Phil, interesting....is it painted on with a brush or roller? Or troweled on? When you say 'Bitumen" it makes me think of ashpaltic products, which we don't see here anymore.

Markus (SWE) sent me some links one time of the products sold in Sweden, all quite different from what we have here in Canada and the US.

We don't have the trays here like you have there. Our plumbing traps (gulleys?) are different, as well. I think there'd be a market here for some of these products.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Its nasty stuff to work with , it comes on a roll with a plastic overlay which you peel off , its not suitable for walls if the tiles are over a certain weight.. :thumbsup:
30037.jpg

Last edited:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

Rob it comes on a roll, it is bitumen with a web binding. It has a removable paper on back and front, you remove the lower paper revealing the sticky bitumen this sticks to the floor. You remove top layer of paper just before tiling, it can be hard to work with. I usualy cover with thin set and let it go off overnight if poss, this way you can walk on it without getting stuck:thumbsup:

R

Rob Z

Andy, Phil-thanks.

I don't know of anything like that here for waterproofing.

There are some well-known "peel and stick" products for floors, used for crack suppression. Some of them can be a PITA, I can imagine trying to get it on the walls would be, as well.

Reaction score
Rob, when it first came out over here I got a hotel to do where it was specified in the showers - all the adhesive companies shied away from it, but PCI had the strength of their convictions and guaranteed their single part flexible cementitious product:thumbsup:

Stuck to it a treat:thumbsup:

It's not the best stuff to work with as tanking though, but does the job:thumbsup:

J

jim.mckay67

Hi andy-p
I have an aqua-dec tray fitted(Porcelenosa supplied tray) and my tiler is going to complete job next week but is very unsure of imperband and butech tile to wood adhesive supplied by porcelenosa.
What adhesive would u recommend and is there preformed jointing tape and corners for the job?
Also does he need to use a primer before puting adhesive on

J

jim.mckay67

Thought it would but imperband was sent and butech tile to wood mixable adhesive and as I say tiler hasnt done this sort of floor before

F

faithhealer

Just did a quick google and Butech is from the Dunlop/Bal camp. Doesn't get great reviews. (2nd link says Pants Adhesive!) Get yourself to a tile shop and get one of the top brands, Mapei spf would be my choice

J

jim.mckay67

I did read that "Pants" review but I think that was for there ready mix tubs and not the 2 part adhesive.
Do u need to prime/bond the tray surface before applying adhesive and also is the order for tanking
Floor then joints then wall?
Cheers

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Jim .. You dont need to prime the tray but prime the walls , tank walls first with the imperband dont use the 2 part but a single part flexi , then tank the floor using the 2 part , Porcelanosa dont usually supply the corner joint tape so i usually cut say 200mm strips off the imperband and use that , any more info needed just ask...

J

jonnyc

i have used impey tilesafe membrane a couple of times last few months.
no doubt im sure that it does the job, but it can cause heightflatness background issues in my view dependent on what tiles are used .
this overlaying of membrane is logical but if you are going to use glass mosaics you end up having to re skim with adhesive to get a smooth flat background.
this takes alot of time to get perfectlty flat .
there are many tanking kits that do not need such a big build up and overlap and they seem to be alot less expensive as well.

B

bigtoe1966

We have just used this product on 5 wet rooms in a new build.

We used the preformed corners and brought the tile safe into these. Its on a screeded floor to a Gerbrit Gully system.

We experiensed that the mebrane shrank and pulled the corners away from the wall.Also where the membrane has shrunk it pulled away from the profile within the screed for the slop running along side the horizontal level edge.

Major problem for us. Has any one else experienced this happening?

We have got the manufacture sending a rep out, but as we all know they allways blame some one else rather than say its a product fault.

What other system can anyone recomend? If this product (which was supplied by the client) is found to be at fault.

In the past I have used a matting style material that is laid onto a tile adhesive then smoothed out. It seemed to be a lot less thick and the build up in the corners with the tile safe was around 4mm. Not sure this would bond as well though to the gebrit gully.

Any advise would be greatfully recieved.

regards

Reply to Impey Tilesafe Membrane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen