Search the forum,

Discuss Impey Tilesafe Membrane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

I

Impey UK

Hello all, as you can see this is our first post on this site. After scouting through various posts one thing seems apparent and that is confusion surrounding how, where and to what height the Impey Tilesafe tanking membrane should be installed.

To set the story straight - at Impey we "recommend" tanking the entire floor of the wetroom, although as a minimum requirement you must tank into and at least 1m beyond the wet area of the shower zone.

Although in our opinion Tilesafe is the ultimate wetroom tanking membrane for wetroom floor applications, it is not suitable for tanking the walls in areas where the vertical tile loading is likely to exceed 20kg/m2 - which rules out most natural stone/travertine/marble etc.

The Tilesafe tanking kits we provide are supplied with a roll of 150mm wide jointing tape - this should be folded along it's length to create a 75mm overlap onto the floor and 75mm upstand at the wall. This is sufficient for the Tilesafe application. For the tanking of wetroom walls we recommend you use an alternative liquid or fleece tanking system or a waterproof backer board.

The Impey Tilesafe membrane remains stable up to 32 degrees C. And for this reason we only recommend the use of the 100 watt Devimat under tile heating system when using Tilesafe. There is no need to apply a self levelling compound to 'protect' the membrane from going soft (as it's a rubberised bitumen based sheet).

The membrane is applied directly to the floor/wetroom floor former and then the UFH is applied directly to the top of the membrane. Then you can tile straight over the top as there is no curing time.

I hope that helps to clear things up a bit :thumbsup:

NickH

TF
Reaction score
Impey UK Although in our opinion Tilesafe is the ultimate wetroom tanking membrane for wetroom floor applications said:
Hi, ive used your system several times and reckon its superb, but just to clear up one point, if using "normal" ceramics on the walls, ie less than 20kg/m2 , presumably you would still recommend the impey membrane on the walls.

I

Impey UK

That would be a matter of personal preference really. We only recommend installing the Tilesafe membrane to a height of 75mm at the wall/floor junction.

The 20kg/m2 weight limit is a total inclusive weight limit - so tiles, adhesive, grout and any other 'self ahdesive' loading.

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wetdec

Hello all, as you can see this is our first post on this site. After scouting through various posts one thing seems apparent and that is confusion surrounding how, where and to what height the Impey Tilesafe tanking membrane should be installed.

But you still didn’t tell us to what height the tile safe should be installed.............

To set the story straight - at Impey we "recommend" tanking the entire floor of the wet room, although as a minimum requirement you must tank into and at least 1m beyond the wet area of the shower zone.

So given bathroom floors average shall we say 4m2 your 5m2 kit is no where near big enough to tank a wet room walls as well (provided below 20kg/m2) following your recommendation and so a 10m2 kit would be needed........... yes ?

Although in our opinion Tilesafe is the ultimate wetroom tanking membrane for wet room floor applications, it is not suitable for tanking the walls in areas where the vertical tile loading is likely to exceed 20kg/m2 - which rules out most natural stone/travertine/marble etc.

So another tanking system would be needed if using 20+kg/m2 load

On a wood floor or new screeds for example how would tile safe prevent cracking of tiled areas due to lateral expansion and contraction of the sub floor as would Durabase CI, Ditra ?

The Tilesafe tanking kits we provide are supplied with a roll of 150mm wide jointing tape - this should be folded along it's length to create a 75mm overlap onto the floor and 75mm up stand at the wall. This is sufficient for the Tile safe application. For the tanking of wet room walls we recommend you use an alternative liquid or fleece tanking system or a waterproof backer board.

If tilesafe is recommended for floors and you don’t supply pre-made flexible internal/external corners and tapes surely a purchaser would be better off buying a complete system such as Durabase WP tanking where everything can work hand in hand (with one source of customer backup) rather than having two differing methods of tanking in one room ...?

The Impey Tilesafe membrane remains stable up to 32 degrees C. And for this reason we only recommend the use of the 100 watt Devi mat under tile heating system when using Tilesafe. There is no need to apply a self levelling compound to 'protect' the membrane from going soft (as it's a rubberised bitumen based sheet).

I understand a self leveling compound is used primarily to protect the cable and create a good working surface not to protect a membrane.

The membrane is applied directly to the floor/wet room floor former and then the UFH is applied directly to the top of the membrane. Then you can tile straight over the top as there is no curing time.

So you advocate tiling over your aqua dec base with UFH despite the fact that building of layers over a former could alter fall patterns and inhibit water drainage. Should this happen and the base need lifting you will lose the UFH for the whole room wont you ?

Welcome:thumbsup:

tiler

NickH

TF
Reaction score
[FONT=Arial said:
So you advocate tiling over your aqua dec base with UFH despite the fact that building of layers over a former could alter fall patterns and inhibit water drainage. Should this happen and the base need lifting you will lose the UFH for the whole room wont you ?[/FONT]

If you add say 5mm over the entire floor then you shouldn't affect the falls and if you cant then tile the floor and maintain the falls then frankly you shouldn't be tiling.

W

wetdec

If you add say 5mm over the entire floor then you shouldn't affect the falls and if you cant then tile the floor and maintain the falls then frankly you shouldn't be tiling.

Well that is another arguement but its happening and customers are having run back of water due to layering.

You have a 2% fall .......over this you are putting tilesafe then Devi mat which isnt the easiest to handle on the mat then leveling compound not easy to maintain the 2% if its not something you do every day.............

I

Impey UK

Hello wetdec...

I DID tell you what height we recommend - if you read the post you'll see that it states a 75mm upstand is sufficient.

Where does it say that we recommend tanking the walls with Tilesafe? Please read the post. If you had 4m2 to cover then the 5m2 kit would be sufficient - obviously.

We make no claims that Tilesafe will prevent cracking due to lateral expansion or contraction - but then assuming the subfloor/boards have been fixed and screwed in accordance with recommended building standards then there shouldn't be a problem. We are talking about waterproofing - not installing a seperation layer which is the primary use for Ditra matting. But I would imagine that if tilers need to buy a product that provides a separation layer that you would be able to sell them something or help them out:grin:

Internal and external corners...well, as I said (please read the post) we provide a roll of jointing tape with our kits that is 150mm wide. This forms the wall/floor interface. To form the internal and external corners it is a case of cutting off a 300mm length of the tape and folding and forming the corner sections....we show how to do this on the Impey-showers website. Plenty of installers will choose to use various products for various applications - that is something well documented on many of the other trade forums.

You can use a self levelling compound to protect the cable on the flat areas of the bathroom - but using it in the graded area of the wetfloor, well that's bound to cause a problem - for obvious reasons.

Yes you can use the Devimat over the Aqua-Dec, LinearFlo-Dec (with linear drain) and Aqua-Grade (wetfloor former for new concrete screeds). Of course building up of layers COULD alter fall patterns - but then that's the same as with any wetfloor former - no?
Providing that the tanking, Devimat and grouting is set parallel to the gradient and thicknesses are maintained then it shouldn't make any difference how many layers you apply. Like Nick said - 5mm is 5mm.

Thanks for the warm welcome - glad we can help......oh and sorry for treading on your toes:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
W

wetdec

Hi

You in no way tread on my toes I'm sorry if you felt that just had a number of questions in my mind after reading your post.

Nice you had cooled down by paragraph 3 but your keyword stuffing is a pain in the a$$..........:grin:

Its cool to have someone around from Impey as sometimes there are questions that are best answered by yourselves.

Chill... & welcome again :thumbsup:

tiler

NickH

TF
Reaction score
Well that is another arguement but its happening and customers are having run back of water due to layering.

You have a 2% fall .......over this you are putting tilesafe then Devi mat which isnt the easiest to handle on the mat then leveling compound not easy to maintain the 2% if its not something you do every day.............

Virtually every product can be b***ered up and cause problems if its not installed correctly but that can't be a reason for criticising the product itself.

NickH

TF
Reaction score
ok perhaps criticise is the wrong word, blame would be better, but you do seem to be suggesting that a system might not be suitable because some people are incapable of installing it correcctly.

andy-p

TF
Arms
Reaction score
just finished a wet room with tilesafe on floor and ufh , i just skimmed over with spf on the aquadec area and spent a bit of time leveling and ensuring the falls were correct , as mosaics were going down you have to be careful to avoid ponding.. to be honest though prefer to use imperband..

Reply to Impey Tilesafe Membrane in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen