Search the forum,

Discuss How to prevent white grouting from staining in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Z

Zantaz

My wife would like to have white ceramic floor tiles fitted to our kitchen but I'm worried that the white grouting will get dirty and turn black.

Are there any products on the market that will prevent the grouting from staining, other than choosing black grouting which i've been told is a strict no.

views....

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
You could use a grout sealer but unless you are prepared to walk in socks/slippers I would strongly recommend not to use white grout on a floor, especially kitchen. Dependant upon what colour your units/worktops are I would opt for a mid to dark grey.

Z

Zantaz

Mid grey...that's a good shout. could be a decent compromise considering the kitchen units and work tops are light grey.

AliGage

TF
Arms
Subscribed
Reaction score
I don't think i have ever spread white grout on a floor. It's verging on ludicrous on a kitchen floor. Frame the white tiles with a complimentary colour picked out from the units or worktops like JB said.

D

Deleted member 9966

hi Zantaz, one way to get white grout to stay white on the floor is to go for an epoxy grout. It's mean and horrid stuff, very expensive and you really do need to work carefully with it to get it spot on. There is only one tiler on here I know of who has ever attempted to grout a floor with white epoxy grout and that's Grumpygrouter. He's not been on for a while though :(

Brian the Tile

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Epoxy is the only way to go if you want it to stay white it is not that bad to use these days,best way is to use grout float ,make sure you have green scouring pads and a few cellouse sponges not hard at all if you follow instructions,good luck but dont use any other white floor grout or it will disscoulor in no time

D

detiling

dont be scared to use epoxy grout, its a lot easier to work than a lot of people will tell you.

F

Fliselege

I'm not kidding I have only used white grout here once and that was a silly little repair job replacing 2 broken wall tiles, our most used colour is manhatten grey on floors and walls, only used jasmin and bahama beige a few times and antrasit on quite a few dark tiled floors but greys are used mostly. We have been asked to grout a few jobs in white but when we explain how quickly it gets mucky they all go for grey.

F

Fliselege

Thinking about it only used bahama beige once and I'll never forget the day we went to grout my bosses water supply froze up and we spent a few hours trying to sort it out, got no where so we went up to the job and while he's on the phone asking plumbers we work with for advice he turned into customers road and drifted the back of his 3 week old van into a give way sign. He was so stressed with the water and gutted about damaging the new van I said turn round lets go back, if owt else goes wrong you'll do some thing daft, so that was that didn't grout that day

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Epoxy as said if you want the grout to stay white. Takes a bit longer than normal grout but it's worth it as it lasts pretty much forever. Even chemicals can't bother it. Bleaches and whatever else you can throw at it will never harm it. It's designed for food prep areas and clinical environments along with food related factories often using it too.

Overkill for your average kitchen but it will waterproof your floor (tiles permitting) and never discolour. And you can really scrub it and not ruin it at all should you need to.

Other than that, light grey as said but I have that in my kitchen and it's dirtier in the heavy traffic areas than it is elsewhere. And although it's not that dirty, it does look darker as it stands out against all the clean bits in the corners of the room etc.

Reply to How to prevent white grouting from staining in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen