Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss How Many Tilers Own A Copy Of British Standards Literature? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

T

Tile Shop

Not a tiler, but now have access. Have started reading them. Must say, better written than 50 shades, and more enjoyable (apart from the bit about...... nevermind). Have currently gone down the route of Newcastle Library (Thanks for the suggestion Dan) but now on a personal mission to talk the directors to invest in a set. Its actually quite sad that tile suppliers, retailers and distributers don't have to have them or even need to know them. thought that would have been rule 1.

Most manufacturers of tiles, adhesives and grouts, will only guarentee their products on the understanding they are used in conjunction with BS5385, so well worth the read. I have learned alot so far and still have parts 3, 4 and 5 to go, not to mention the "in conjunction with xxxx standards"

Working in customer service, I can look back now at the complaints we've had regarding product quality where we have given in to replacement products due to a lack of product and tiling knowledge. Because of course the fitting was always 100% and was never the carpet fitter's fault the tile fell off a wetroom wall. But if I had access to these 2-3 years ago, many of the "not so pro" cowboys wouldn't have gotten away with so much. Our company would have saved money and many non-tilers would have thought twice before taking on another job.

Definately one of the best pieces of non-fiction I have in my arsenal.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Not a tiler, but now have access. Have started reading them. Must say, better written than 50 shades, and more enjoyable (apart from the bit about...... nevermind). Have currently gone down the route of Newcastle Library (Thanks for the suggestion Dan) but now on a personal mission to talk the directors to invest in a set. Its actually quite sad that tile suppliers, retailers and distributers don't have to have them or even need to know them. thought that would have been rule 1.

Most manufacturers of tiles, adhesives and grouts, will only guarentee their products on the understanding they are used in conjunction with BS5385, so well worth the read. I have learned alot so far and still have parts 3, 4 and 5 to go, not to mention the "in conjunction with xxxx standards"

Working in customer service, I can look back now at the complaints we've had regarding product quality where we have given in to replacement products due to a lack of product and tiling knowledge. Because of course the fitting was always 100% and was never the carpet fitter's fault the tile fell off a wetroom wall. But if I had access to these 2-3 years ago, many of the "not so pro" cowboys wouldn't have gotten away with so much. Our company would have saved money and many non-tilers would have thought twice before taking on another job.

Definately one of the best pieces of non-fiction I have in my arsenal.
Very wise to have them in the shop.

Do you have them or access to them @Lee@TileTown ?

O

One Day

I worked for a director of BSI and got a copy from him, then I worked for a guy who sits on the Institute of Experts (whatever that is!) for RICS and got a new set from him.
Agree that it's robbery as they're paid for really by taxes.

N

NZ_Tiler

When I was living in Austria studying theirs in german was fairly tough but I found a few EN bs online to help with the translating.

I know it's all copyright and "illegal" but I justified as I'd forked out a fortune on the austrian ones already.

12004 and 14111 are found fairlry easily.
BS5385.1... can be found to.

D

Dumbo

I was talking to an adhesive manufacturer about some recommendations(questioning what they told me ) so I asked if this was Bs and he said yes. I then had reason to doubt this was the case and called them back and said what I had learned they then said it wasn't Bs but their own recommendation. Which is fine but don't tell me because your adhesive has some limitations others don't tell me it's in Bs.

Reply to How Many Tilers Own A Copy Of British Standards Literature? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Lowpaul22
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks