Discuss How Many Tilers Own A Copy Of British Standards Literature? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

D

Dougs Third Go

Is the poll anonomous? I'm wondering if guys will answer truthfully if people can see who voted what.
I've read them. own none though. I couldn't recite the ad verbatim, but after over 35 years working them I think I'm entitled to put my own regional slant/accent on them :)

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Nah public.

Got nothing to hide.

Now private

If you don't own a copy because it's expensive. Say so! Plenty of others will.

To be honest we find manufacturers have them and make products to their specs.

Tilers then stick to their terms and instructions of the adhesive and grout and tile and substrate manufacturers.

So there's no shame in saying you've never read a single page.

I haven't. I've read loads of quotes. But I don't know if they're making it up or what. I can't check what people are saying when they quote BS most of the time.

Be honest with the answers.

I bet only some of the big firms we have say they have some of them, not all mind.

Last edited:
S

SJPurdy

how much does a full set cost?
They are all available through the BS website and last time I looked over £100 for part 1 and you'll need parts 1-5 (BS5385) plus all the other relevant ones so you can check the substrates are prepared correctly; general building bits (BS8000 I think);etc,etc.

I've never owned a set but have been able to access them at home through my local library - now stopped so I'd have to go into the library and use their (our!) computer to do the same. (I haven't taken part in the survey as I am no longer tiling).

My opinion of the BS5385 is that most of the parts could be incorporated into one as it is so repetitive anyway, but obviously less £ to be made from those who need a copy! Much of the text is also not very clear and written poorly and I think it would help everone (tradesmen and people checking what should be/has been done) if the tiling standard was started again rather than kept being updated every x years.

M

MTiler

Ive seen bits, dont own any because it costs too much, which is ridiculas. Do TTA members get members get free access to them?

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Ive seen bits, dont own any because it costs too much, which is ridiculas. Do TTA members get members get free access to them?

No Sharon , but if any updates are added , then you get those free in the form of a booklet and they are spot on when standards are updated to include new systems coming onto the market .

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Can everybody access them at a library? Do all library's have them or what?

S

SJPurdy

At the library they are accessed on the computers (if the library is large enough to have them and there is one free). The librarian will put in the code so that the BS can be accessed (this is the case in Worcestershire (well it was last time I went). You are then free to read the BS's but you cant print them so take a note book. Some library services may still give you to access on your home PC if you are a member - this used top be the case in Worcestershire but was then stopped. In the olden days before PC's the bigger library's had printed copies which were much easier to read and they would do you copies for a small sum - a much better system where public information was accessible to the public more easily.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I got a full set given but not books , print out on A4 :) but can't for the life of me remember where I put them. :(.

But the TTA hard booklet updates cover most of what you need to know .

Reply to How Many Tilers Own A Copy Of British Standards Literature? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Midland Commercial
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks