Discuss Argument With Tiler in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

M

markwm

Had an bust up/argument with tiler today. Usually use someone else but this guy came recommended by a supplier who I know quite well, also does a lot of work for one of the big tile chains.

He's been doing a bathroom, kitchen splashback and kitchen floor. Bathroom was alright, I could pick fault if I had to but nothing worth bringing up. House is a rental but I still like a good job.

I had all the gear for him, tiles, adhesive, grout, spacers, trims and primer. I primed the bathroom and splashback myself, I goes in the other day and despite having the tub of primer left for him, he's using his own PVA to prime the kitchen floor!!! I mentioned I wasn't happy and I think it's rubbish but got the usual "I've been tiling for X number of years, never had any problems" blah blah blah... sigh, same old stuff...

I goes in today, he's doing the kitchen floor which has already been self levelled so a **** ball tbh. One part of the kitchen has a trap door into the cellar. This was lined with ply and a 36mm plywood door dropped in the hole. I just wanted the trap door tiling with an edging around both door and floor and showed him this picture:

IMG_2368.JPG

This is actually my own kitchen that I tiled myself 10 years ago, first ever time tiling. I would assume lining up tile trims is something pretty simple for a professional tiler or anyone really....

So I goes in later and this is what he's done(at this point it hadn't been grouted but pics show it grouted):

IMG_2372.JPG
IMG_2373.JPG
IMG_2374.JPG IMG_2375.JPG

I told him it was rubbish and I wanted it sorting. He shouted a lot "well what do you want me to do etc etc"...He'd also messed up the kitchen window reveal trims and I told him I wanted them sorting too. That looked even worse, I didn't get a pic unfortunately..

So I comes back a bit later. He's sorted the kitchen window reveal but had simply grouted the floor and changed nothing. So end of the day when he said he'd finished and wanted paying I simply said if I he didn't sort that edging out I'd have to do it myself. He didn't want, wouldn't or couldn't do it for whatever reason.

I got his money, knocked off £60(amount I thought it might cost me to fix it personally) and said 'if you want the full amount, come back and sort that trim out'. I thought that was more than fair. So he starts calling me names and says he's going to the van to get his hammer and is gonna "smash up all the effing tiles". He's already had his money at this point, minus £60 of course.

So he goes to the van to get the hammer, I follow him to make sure he can't come back. Long story short, he turns around to square up to me as if he was going to hit me and then he found himself pinned up against his van asking me to put him down.

He then gets into his van through the passenger side saying "I'll know where you live" making threats etc. I regret actually not knocking more than £60 off and should have taken off what someone else would charge to fix it.

I said to him at one point, if I'd have done that for someone I would have gone out bought some more trims and put it right.

I've been doing property development for around 10 years now and this year will be my last. I don't wanna tar everyone with the same brush as I know there's some good trades out there but dealing with tradesmen is just more trouble than it's worth for the most part. Seems like it would be an awesome job if you didn't know the difference between good work and bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
L

LM

That's absolutely shocking work and a bad turn of events as well. You let him off light with just £60 deduction, I wouldn't have paid him anything until he corrected the work to a satisfactory standard. It's not even reasonably acceptable IMO! I'd definitely be showing those pics to who ever recommended him to you and giving them the heads up about his customer complaints procedure lol,just to save some other poor sod a similar ordeal! "going to get a hammer to sort it" what a moron! What did he expect to happen to him after he'd smashed the place up with a hammer?

O

Old Mod

Praps u shouldn't use the term 'tradesman' so loosely! :rolleyes:
Cos he's obviously not one!
Got to agree tho, it's an appalling job!

C

ChiversTiling

Should of knocked off more, this so called tiler got off lightly, used to have 2 tilers work for me but the amount of problems I had with them, it was best I just do it myself as I know I do it right and if there was any problems I'd sort it out for them but that's very rare

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Plenty of good tradesman out there, you just need to find them, pay them the right amount for the job (realistic budget) and plan the work right to allow them time to get to you....

O

On one

Personally he has placed the trims the way I would have placed them(2mm side facing upwards)
But then again I couldn't possibly have fitted them THAT badly if I wanted to.
£60 off? I think you were very generous indeed.
As for ''knowing where you live'' .....don't muck about,report it to the local Police to nip it in the bud. Granted the Police are as much use as a chocolate fireguard,but a little word here or there from Pc Plod would hopefully put make him think twice.

M

markwm

I reported it to the police as soon as he left. Got to go 'down the station' tomorrow.

Yea, defo regret not taking off more. I'm gonna have to buy 2 lengths of trim, and also got no more grout. Gonna be a pain to fix as well. The supplier who recommended him owes me a favour so might can the gear for free.

Chalker

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I would have done the trims the same way as him ( but neater) putting a polished trim flat side up on a floor will get scratched quickly and draw too much attention to the trap door.

But that is a poor job.

M

markwm

The trim I used on my door wasn't a tile trim, it was a 8x8 piece of aluminium. Dunno why I used that but it hasn't scratched in a decade.

I had to show him a picture because he only wanted to trim around the floor bit, not on the door. :-/

Reaction score
"So he goes to the van to get the hammer, I follow him to make sure he can't come back. Long story short, he turns around to square up to me as if he was going to hit me and then he found himself pinned up against his van asking me to put him down."
A tiler "debatable" who cant square up tile trims, should not have tried to square up to anyone. £60 is such a let off for the work he has left you to rectify.

M

Makaveli

I don't wanna tar everyone with the same brush as I know there's some good trades out there but dealing with tradesmen is just more trouble than it's worth for the most part. Seems like it would be an awesome job if you didn't know the difference between good work and bad.

Totally agree mate. So many Cowboys out there.
They may be qualified but their work is rubbish.
I could do their jobs better.
I've only had good experience with some plasterers the rest of trades where rubbish.
Espccially so called tilers!

O

Old Mod

Couldn't agree more!
Fed up to the back teeth with so called 'joiners' Preping rooms!
Do it better myself! :rolleyes:

M

Makaveli

Couldn't agree more!
Fed up to the back teeth with so called 'joiners' Preping rooms!
Do it better myself! :rolleyes:
Haha, the tiler I employed wouldn't have done any prep, I had to tell him what to do and how long to leave the applied product.
Not saying all tilers are the same.
But must be my luck, I hired two different tilers.
First one should have been in a western film the second who was hired to rectify the first tilers work was slightly better but finishing touches were lacking in quality.

Reply to Argument With Tiler in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks