Search the forum,

Discuss Hi - new member looking for design advice. Some bargain this has turned out to be! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

S

steamie

Hi there, I'm 'Steamie' and new to this forum. I'm hoping you can help. I travelled with hubby for 6 hours and paid for an overnight in a Oxford hotel in an attempt to get a bargain at a famous tile retailer's sale. I was looking for my dream iridescent brick shaped tiles. Of course they were not in the sale! Embarrassed at causing such expense I thought I'd better take something and opted for clear ( white backed) architectural glass mosaics, thinking they'd go with anything. When I got them home I realised I'd gone from 'pretty country and warm' to 'city apartment harsh' and I don't know what to do. I can see they are a great buy but look cold and uninviting alone. I wondered if you experienced people could suggest a look that would enable me to use them but create something a bit less macho looking. I wondered if I could border them with the iridescent style or would that look stupid, being two opposing looks? I also wondered if I could tile with 'normal ' tiles ( I like a shiney look) and use these as a border? I will be getting a tiler that I've used before in Glasgow. Some bargain this has turned out to be!

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Re: Hi - new member looking for design advice. Some bargain this has turned out to be

you can cut the mosaics in to stripp's, and use them with a field tile of your choice, try to find a tile the same thickness as the mosaic or you will have to pack them out out to make them flush..

S

steamie

Re: Hi - new member looking for design advice. Some bargain this has turned out to be

Thanks Andy, I appreciate any help.

I

Ian

Welcome along to Tf. Can you post a picture of your tile to help us give you some ideas as to what may compliment it.

Sent via Tapatalk for iPhone

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

hi steamie,maybe also ask your tiler to provide some pictures or ideas on what he thinks may go too?

S

steamie

Thanks Kilty & Bri. I can't get a photo but someone is selling the same on the famous auction site right now. They are simply clear glass mosaic with a white paper backing rather than netting. I believe they are quite difficult to fit. My tiler will probably be less than pleased! I wondered if some slate might look nice with the glass mosaic but it is also a north facing room. My family bathroom faces the same way and my beautiful white porcelain tiles in that come out grey. I think I might have made a big mistake- maybe the same as the person on the auction site. Why are the big company tiles so vastly expensive?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

Steamie is this for a kitchen splashback or a bathroom your doing,what colour grout have you considered>

S

steamie

Kilty, this is for my ensuite which is quite big. I planned to do a panel behind the sink, not just a splashback, and completely box in the bath with a shelf for wine and book. I have a large recessed mirror at the back with 2 'pillars' ( one covering pipework). I planned to have these covered in the mosaic also. It was an impulse buy and so wrong. Now I'm trying to make it right.

S

steamie

Forgot to say I believe the grout has to be white or clear or will show up?

kilty55

TF
Arms
Reaction score

HI STEAMIE OK IM GETTING A BETTER PICTure of what your looking for now.....is there no way this company will do an exchange for you?

i wouldnt advise doing a full job with a tile just for the sake....maybe try and contact the shop and ask for an exchange or refund on goods? or seel on ebay or somethign to try and re coup losses to get something you really want?

i know you feel you have wasted money but doing a full bathroom with a tile that you may not like at the end is a bigger waste imo

if your sure your going to use them what type of main tile did u have in mind

Reply to Hi - new member looking for design advice. Some bargain this has turned out to be! in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen