Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Please checkout the following advertisement.
We had a wet room installed about 8 months ago. The floor is tiled with large 60x60cm porcelain tiles laid on Impey Waterguard membrane and the shower tray is Impey Aquadec Easyfit with the membrane laid over the top. It is a new-build first floor bathroom (new extension on older house) with a suspended timber floor. The tiles appear to be laid well and there has been no obvious movement or cracking of grout (Bal Micromax). However, almost immediately we noticed that in the shower area some areas of grout (which is light grey) did not dry out, and over time about 50% of the grout lines were permanently dark, even when the shower was not used for a few days. I searched tile forums and became concerned that the tiles had been laid on an incomplete layer of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, and that water was pooling underneath them, leading to permanently wet grout, but could not see any evidence of the tiles coming up or moving about, which usually seems to happen with problems like this.

Our builder called back the tiler who swore that he had used the correct amount and type of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, and said that if he had not done so then the grout would have cracked on the floor. Bal, the grout and https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ manufacturers, were called, but their "expert" tried to claim that the dark patches were not, in fact, wet, but possibly mould or even dirt! He agreed that it looked like the tiles had been correctly laid and suggested leaving the floor to dry and then replacing the grout and then using a sealer to stop water soaking through the grout. When I mentioned the possibility of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ not covering the back of the tiles, he agreed with the builder that it was very difficult to achieve a completely flat bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, suggesting that it was almost inevitable that some pooling of water under the tiles would occur, leading to patches of wet grout.

We agreed to wait for the floor to dry out. We are now on week 5 (in a warm room with underfloor heating in the rest of the floor away from the shower tray!) and there is still a small wet patch, but most is back to the normal light grey colour. It took about 3 weeks for most of the moisture to go and the dark patches to disappear, so we have now discounted the mould/dirt theories, but are concerned that there must have been quite a lot of water sitting under the tiles for them to remain wet so long! The builder now just wants to seal the dried grout, and not re-grout at all. He is refusing to do anything else.

I have talked to most of the manufacturers of grout sealers, and they all say that their products will not completely waterproof grout, so I cannot see that this will be a long-term solution (also, don't fancy waiting for the floor to dry out each time it needs re-applying!). Epoxy grout seems like a good idea, but the builder seems to think that it would eventually crack if used on a timber floor (although when I spoke to Mapei about Kerapoxy they said that it should be fine as long as the floor is not bouncing around a lot, which it is not).

What I'd really like advice on is:

- is it normal to have permanently wet patches in grout on wet room floors even if the floor appears to be well laid?

- if we leave the floor as it is, will we be storing up trouble for the future? Am I being too fussy??!

- Is it possible to lay tiles in a pre-formed shower tray on a completely flat bed of https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/, or will there always be gaps for water to collect in?

- Should we consider a grout sealer or epoxy grout to solve the problem or do the tiles need taking up and re-laying? (massive Job I imagine as
there is a huge glass shower screen resting on one grout joint and the membrane may be damaged in the process?)

It does feel like I am being fobbed off by the builder and the tiler, but admittedly the wet grout patches are the only problems so far. It would be great to hear from anyone who has had similar problems. I can't quite see the point of having tiled shower trays if they always look different to the rest of the tiled floor!

Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
OP
P

Paula

I don't think it is at all likely to fail as a tanking barrier to stop water getting through, (I haven't tried the newer easier to use version so am assuming it is similar to the old). However it is my opinion that it remains slightly compressible under the tiles and this may be why the grout is cracking around the tiles that are stood on most.

So are you saying that you think with Impey membrane there will always be some movement of tiles? How can we stop the cracking happening, then?

Rob-Bob

TF
Reaction score
Hi Paula,
I've just done wetroom and used porcelanosa 'swimming pool' grout (the one which you mix two component and it very hard to clean tile if excesses not removed immediately) and having same issue like you - grout in wetroom area and a one line on tile outside is dark/wet and all dries after few days. I do not think this is acceptable and may cause more issue in long term. My tiles are laid on 18mm plywood and tanking has been done (painting with blue paste), but no wet foam tray has been used below tiles-tiler did nice fall with tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Water doesn't get below floor so tanking luckily works. I was hoping to hear that epoxy solved the problem, but not long term ... what about using flexi grey silicone instead of grout, would that work or this is silly idea?
I've seen other wetroom and all seem to be dry and nobody has any issue apart of you and now me ;)
Thank you for your thread.

Rob-Bob

TF
Reaction score
btw, I was doing same investigation as you and the only way water can get behind the tiles are through a) grout or b) holes for glass screen frame (but this is unlikely as frame has been siliconed around unless water is going on the glass and fall between glass and metal frame on the wall, but glass sits on clear seal so unlikely).

OP
P

Paula

Hi Paula,
I've just done wetroom and used porcelanosa 'swimming pool' grout (the one which you mix two component and it very hard to clean tile if excesses not removed immediately) and having same issue like you - grout in wetroom area and a one line on tile outside is dark/wet and all dries after few days. I do not think this is acceptable and may cause more issue in long term. My tiles are laid on 18mm plywood and tanking has been done (painting with blue paste), but no wet foam tray has been used below tiles-tiler did nice fall with tile https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/. Water doesn't get below floor so tanking luckily works. I was hoping to hear that epoxy solved the problem, but not long term ... what about using flexi grey silicone instead of grout, would that work or this is silly idea?
I've seen other wetroom and all seem to be dry and nobody has any issue apart of you and now me ;)
Thank you for your thread.

Hi Rob
sorry to hear you're having the same problems as me. I'm a bit confused, though: from what you say, it sounds like the Porcelanosa grout you used is an epoxy grout, which shouldn't change colour on wetting as far as I know. It is completely waterproof, so any water would just run off the surface rather than soak in, as is the case with normal grout. If the dark colour disappears on drying, then I don't think the epoxy is working properly, or you have another sort of grout maybe?

I know my thread is long and convoluted, but if you look back through it you'll see that we solved the original wetting problem by taking up the drain surround. It turned out that the tiler had not put enough https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ under the metal drain cover, so water was able to get through the grout and pool under there. Perhaps you could you have the same problem?

I know some drains have seep holes built in, so that water that gets through grout and under tiles can seep into the drain rather than pooling. It could also be that these have been blocked by https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ by the tiler. It may well be worth investigating.

If neither of these are problems in your case, then the water must be getting under the tiles through small cracks in the grout or around the drain. Are you sure there aren't any tiny cracks?

I've also wondered about using sealant, which would certainly be flexible enough to eliminate cracking, but I don't think it would look very nice, and am not sure how long it would last in such a wet environment.

You don't say whether your wetroom is on a solid or suspended timber floor. If it's on a solid base I would definitely recommend using proper epoxy grout, as it would not change colour at all on wetting (although I'd recommend eliminating the two possible drainage problems I mentioned first, as it's not good to have pools of water under tiles).

If your wetroom is on a suspended timber floor, then I'd steer clear of epoxy, given my experience, as it obviously can't cope with the movements that occur when someone is showering.

Hope this helps!

OP
T

Tilerdurden

Possibly done the grouting in 2 applications and made a weaker mix which could cause variations in colour due to drawing out pigments and also weakens the grout strength. Could have dried at different rates. May possibly have cleaned grout too soon and water has hit it and discoloured and weakened the finish.

Reapplication of grout is most likely your best route of action. Should really be done at tilers expense.

Rob-Bob

TF
Reaction score
Hello all,
Apologise for being quiet for 4 months, but I was undertaking a lot of trials with wet room.
1. pouring water into basket - floor still wet after a week so potential issue with piping or shower faucet
2. not using shower for a week - floor still wet so potential issue with piping or shower faucet
3. put silicone over grout in wet room - wet room dry, but grout outside wet room became wet so potential issue with piping or shower faucet
4. decided to open shower plate and reconnect all fixture - floor still wet so potential issue with piping or shower faucet
5. spotted couple water drops from shower valve, about 1 drop per minute - change valve cartridge for £25, but this didn't fix the issue, when I turn valve water drops were coming out.
6. decided to replace whole shower mixer unit, went for Vado due to design and 10 years guarantee - knock some bricks behind the bathroom, plumber to deinstall old and install a new mixer, then plaster, skimming and painting.
7. removed silicone which I put over grout
8. removed epoxy grout from wet room floor - extremely hard/almost impossible. Luckily silicone soften the grout and I managed to remove about 6 inches of slightly cracked grout.
9. 6 weeks on and voilà - floor outside wet room dried and there is no sign of any water penetration in wet room.
I hope it will stay like this forever now and epoxy won't crack after while (it didn't cracked at all at other side of wet room from time of wet room build so it should be fine)
Couple things to note:
1. tanking is a must - tanking paint became a layer of plastic foil which really stops water penetrating floor or wall
2. buy good shower mixer and do pressure test after installation when all pipes are still visible and easy to fix
3. epoxy grout - I've heard it's not for wood subfloor, but Porcelanosa advised me to buy that type of grout for my wood floor. Epoxy grout is really a pain to apply, but it seems to work. I am still curious why grout was wet when water was underneath the tiles, but since new mixer was installed then grout is dry and stop water going behind tiles?
Thank you, hope someone would find this helpful :)

Reaction score
Just throwing in my 2 cents worth here but wondering if it could be something as simple as the https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ not being cleared from grout joints? Showing in places and barely being covered in others? When I tile formers it does get messy (I over butter the tile to ensure a 100% bed). Raking that grout out will soon reveal if this was the case, either way wouldn't do no harm.

Reaction score
Doh! Sorry posted a reply after only reading the 1st page didn't realise this topic now appears to be resolved. Ignore my previous post, and hopefully all stays well.

Reaction score
Hi Paula. I’ve been reading this thread as I also have wet grouting patches on my former tray tiles after using the shower for the first time. I also have impey membrane. Only the flooring is tanked just like yourself. This is also on timber floor. Mine is actually not a full wetroom as the tanking only goes up a few tiles past the screen. Fingers crossed on that one. 😬

I havent used the shower and you can clearly see one patch that stays wet even after 24 hours. It feels wet to touch and I can see the wetness.

I can also see about 5 pinholes in the grout in the wet patch area which I suspect is the issue. This seems like a poor mix.

There are some other dark patches but they are cloudy and feel dry to touch and when I run my fingernail across it it kind of comes off and lightens. It’s surface only. Builders think that is soap residue from the mastic guy. It sounds plausible.

The builders are now raking the wet grout lines with pinholes out and will regrout. Anyway hopefully that resolves it.

My question to you is. Am I correct you regret the epoxy? The evaporation capacity of cement grout is probably a good thing all things considered and it’s easy regrout?

How did things end up?

Thank you

Reply to Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Tiling News; Tile News area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
sj1709
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock