Search the forum,

Discuss Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Thanks Paula, is there any pipework for the shower visable from the loft?

You need to keep ringing the builder, he needs to get the plumber back. Don't pay anyone else to come and investigate or the builder will wash his hands of it.

P

Paula

Thanks Paula, is there any pipework for the shower visable from the loft?

You need to keep ringing the builder, he needs to get the plumber back. Don't pay anyone else to come and investigate or the builder will wash his hands of it.

Hi Bob

I finally heard back from the builder who says the plumber is coming "some time next week" (!). He also asked if we often used the bath (we don't) as he wondered if it was anything to do with the bath waste coming up in the shower somehow. He didn't believe that water could flow down the wall from the shower head or valve without us seeing wet patches on the wall (which we don't).

No, I don't intend to pay anyone else to come and have a look, as this has been a problem since the day the shower was installed, so I really think he needs to sort it out. He is just very reluctant to do anything more than he has done already (ie. changed the grout in the shower tray area). And it's very hard to get him to come back!

Yes, there is a small amount of pipework visible from the loft, as the hot and cold pipes drop down from here. Should I be looking?!

P

Paula

Hi Paula

No don't do anything now until plumber has been and keep us updated.

Thanks, Bob. Apparently the plumber is coming some time this week. We haven't been using the shower now for a couple of weeks, but I have been carrying out various tests. I repeated running the main shower head into buckets on a couple of occasions, but couldn't get the wet patch to come back again, which was confusing. I then ran the second, hand-held shower directly down the drain, avoiding any splashes around. I have been running it once a day for about 3 days, and last night, again, there was a noticeable damp patch outside the shower screen, as there was before. So I suppose we have just proved that the damp is not coming directly from above the tiles (in normal use) but either from the shower valve or either of the heads, or the drain itself. It is difficult to trace as it obviously takes a while for the damp to appear, which is why I have been repeating the tests over several days.

I'll let you know how we get on this week!

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Interesting....

It could be the hand held shower outlet elbow, when fitting them you have to get it exactly right regarding the tile thickness, and screwing the fitting into the female thread getting it to end up pointing the right way. The shoulder of the chrome fitting could be bottoming out on the tiles before making a watertight seal in the backplate (depending on the design).

Its a blind fitting and there's no real way of testing it other then very careful planning and sometimes hoping for the best, it could be dribbling down the wall tile adhesive when in use and ending up on the floor tanking somehow.

Bathfix Bob

TF
Arms
Reaction score
What was the outcome of this? I'm on tenterhooks.

And why is tanking and wetroom section all hidden away down here all of a sudden?, I'm worried Paula will not find her way back here to update.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry mate that's my doing. Sorted a bathroom fitting category out and thought it was more suited in here but you might be right, probably best back where it was.

Paula should find her way back easy. She'll have notifications linking her to the thread regardless of where it is.

But new members might not find it. So I'll shift it back when I'm next on the computer.

P

Paula

What was the outcome of this? I'm on tenterhooks.

And why is tanking and wetroom section all hidden away down here all of a sudden?, I'm worried Paula will not find her way back here to update.

Hi Bob

yes, I found my way back, but did wonder what had happened! Well, as predicted, the plumber has not appeared. Says he is on 6 other jobs with the builder so can't spare the time. I've told him about the various tests, including one the other day where I ran the hand-held hose into a bucket and lo and behold drips of water started coming from the elbow, plus damp patches on the grouting along from here, so there is obviously a problem here (you are a genius!). I find it hard to believe that is the only cause of our problems, as we hardly ever use the hand-held shower, but perhaps there is a similar problem with the fixed head, which we use all the time?

Anyway, I agree with you we definitely need him to come, but I don't know how I can force him! Getting really hacked off with not being able to use our en-suite shower now....

O

Old Mod

Shame I'm not a plumber, Walton's not far from me.
In the words of Manuel "I know nothink!"
If after ALL of your options are exhausted, and you still get no joy from the plumber who did the work......
I do know people who do know somthink! :D
If you need someone.

Reply to Help! Tiled wetroom floor looks perfect but grout doesn't dry out! in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen