Search the forum,

Discuss Hardiebacker in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

H

hmtiling

Which when tanked comes right down.
No way a paint on system can take the full quota.
You would have to use a membrane such as Kerdi.
surprisingly some tanking kits say they don't alter the substrate's hanging weight. @Paul C. posted something about it a while back. i think ardex's one was one if memory serves.

O

One Day

surprisingly some tanking kits say they don't alter the substrate's hanging weight. @Paul C. posted something about it a while back. i think ardex's one was one if memory serves.

I know - I remember the post but I am pretty confident I can "peel" ardex wp off hardibacker.
I'm a big fan of ardex wp but I can't believe the claim - sorry!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sean Kelly - do you mean does not need to be primed before tanking?

No. I was just answering yr original question. It does not need to be primed.

When you say a wet area do you mean shower? Tanking is belt and braces. I personally would not tank Hardiebacker as long as you seal with scrim tape and adhesive. Also using silicone before and after tiling.

S

SJPurdy

Alex you haven't told us what you are tiling. You might be better off using Marmox type boards.
Marmox, Wedi etc type boards for me on walls over the cement type boards (Hardie, No more ply, etc). They are so much lighter to transport and carry to the bathroom; cutting is much easier (sharp knife (old wood saw sometimes)); Waterproof and joints can be glued sealed (eg Wedi 610 board sealant/glue) to waterproof them so no need to prime or tank; they are also insulating.

O

One Day

Marmox, Wedi etc type boards for me on walls over the cement type boards (Hardie, No more ply, etc). They are so much lighter to transport and carry to the bathroom; cutting is much easier (sharp knife (old wood saw sometimes)); Waterproof and joints can be glued sealed (eg Wedi 610 board sealant/glue) to waterproof them so no need to prime or tank; they are also insulating.

Give this man a banana! He gets it! :thumbsup:

Reply to Hardiebacker in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen