Discuss hand print stain on encaustic tiles! - Help in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

S

stephenoneill

way to get rid of a hand print stain on encaustic rile.tiles were washed before sealing left to dry overnight sealed with lithofin .and now when the sun shines you can see a handprint visible:mad2:

Q

Qwerty

Not everybody has experience of encaustic tiles and we don't all visit the forum daily. You only posted yesterday afternoon so be patient and I'm sure somebody will help out.

Q

Qwerty

Have you tried phoning somebody like LTP, Fila or another sealant company or maybe a company that sells a lot of encaustic tiles?

Reaction score
How many tiles?.............the whole job?. if its just a few cant you just replace them?. Sorry I cant answer your question exactly, but hope it helps.

S

stephenoneill

thanks for the reply yeah i just replaced the whole tile.was just looking to see if anybody had a siniliar experience and how they handles it

T

Time's Ran Out

Thread title didn't inspire me to look originally!
Your removing remedy would have been the only suggestion I would've had to overcome the hand mark, however it highlights the importance of sealing the encaustics before they are fixed.
Being made of neat coloured cement they are extremely porous - like blotting paper - and as such dust off with a clean brush, handle on the sides, and seal. Allow to fully dry and work clean while fixing. I wouldn't recommend washing the tiles prior to sealing as uneven absorption and drying will cause the sealer to dry patchy.

Original thread title was - 'what's the easiest'

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Turkish tiler

Here is number below for lithofin technical help ask for Bob I am sure he will have solution for your problem
01962 732 126

Lithofin BOB

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
thanks guys much appreciated

Hi , possible reason for print, leaving an cementisiouse encaustic over night to dry poss not long enough before sealing- i will leave mine 48-72 for a light clean or if restoring min 7 days if you used a solvent based MN moisture will push up the impregnator and will not penetrate as well as a dry tile,did you leave a wet look finish to the tile and let dry in when you sealed it?

If you did you may have slight excess( as the guys said earlier or possible patches, always towel back your impregnators befor working the next section( no wet look)
your hand print went in!!

Possible solution to reactivate contaminated tile- reactivate tile by putting more impregnator on keep wet for 5-6 min clean over every 1-2 mins with a white cleaning pad do not let dry out- if drys add more product . Hopefully the solvent in the Product will melt excess , buff back completely with a white towel to a dry , matt finish (this works if you get the patchy floors too)

If not!!! Strip it , dry it (4-5 days) ,re-impregnate, that should shift it

Cheers hope this may help

Reply to hand print stain on encaustic tiles! - Help in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks