Search the forum,

Discuss Grout will not harden in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

JohnK

An exPat living inthe Netherlands. I had a problem with a leak in my shower. Eventually traced it to a problem with the grout between the floor tiles.I have replaced the offending grout with a powder called eurocol 706 speciaalvoeg WD which is a a flexible and watertight grout.It has a high synthetic binder content and additives.The problem is that I cannot get the grout to harden After 3 days it is still soft enough to remove with your nail.Any suggestions?

D

diamondtiling

Hi and welcome, I have never heard of that particular product but the first thought that springs to mind is how you mixed it, should it have been an additive? was it a 2 pack product?

Reaction score
Looking at the product information for this grout, it seems like a pretty good product - akin to Mapei Ultracolour and the like..:smilewinkgrin:

It's just a modified, cement based grout so no real need for an additive:thumbsdown:

Normally a situation like what you find yourself in is due to either temparature in the room or mix ratio.....

.... did you mix exactly as per the bag recommendations? i.e. 5KG to 1 litre of clean water ?

Something is deffo wrong if still soft after 3 days

Last edited:
J

JohnK

I mixed it exactly according to the instructions. I had a builder repair it last week and it did not harden for him as well ( twice). I don't know his material but after the first attempt he bought a new packet.. He has now gone on holidays and hence my attempt.Could it be something chemical preventing it harden.

Reaction score
What material are the tiles?
What are they fixed to?
Has the grout, at any stage, become contaminated by any other chemicals? i.e.cleaners or the like?
Does Forbo not have a local representative who you can get out?

I had a similar problem about 15 years ago with Ardipox epoxy grout in a school and the rep tried to blame the application - when we did a test panel and left it in the same room for a week and that didn't set either, he squirmed for weeks before eventually blaming the air conditioning system in the changing rooms......

Last edited:
D

DHTiling

It is more than likely an out of date grout....(shelf life expired)....

Have you still got the packaging..?

D

DHTiling

If the packet was from the same supplier then it too could be expired....it's chromium or summit that expires...this additive to prevent dermatitis expires and can alter the setting of the grout...there is apost on here somewhere about it...i think it was sWe who posted it....

but other things can cause the grout not to set hard as well , like over washing etc during grouting process.

Reaction score
Manufacturers put a reducing agent in their adhesives to eliminate the risk of skin disorders(i.e. dermatitis) for people using cement based products - tilers, brickies, etc..

After a while the reducing agent deteriorates and the risk of skin allergies returns - that's what the chromium VI shelf life refers to.

I think the actual practical use of the adhesive will still have the usual shelf life as it always has had, but the chromium VI reducing agent shelf life is slightly shorter....:thumbsdown:

Another way for addie reps to sell more gear.

D

DHTiling

I was in convo with a rep and he said summit about grouts / adhesives only having a shelf life of 6 month and the chromium effects the setting or summit.....but like you say it might be rep talk...:smilewinkgrin: but the portland has a shelf life though....still worth checking before this member calls the manufactuer...then all area's are covered..

Reaction score
Sometimes rep tiles can tie themselves up in knots when new legislation and products are put out....

Makes me laugh for years the BAL reps swore by Gold Star for anything, then they introduced Porcelbond additive in their adhesives - THEN - all of a sudden Gold Star was frowned upon and you could ONLY use SPF...

Same with swimming pools - snowcrete or C2 no probs for donkies - now, nothing less than easypoxy in commercial installations..

I've witnessed George Hunter and Mike Lazzari in full swing hundreds of times - it's quite a sight :smilewinkgrin:

J

JohnK

I bought a new packet of grout.From the bar code it cannot be easily seen the manufacturing date.It is unlikely the 3 different packets are all too old? Tiles are Portuguese from Oliveira Do Bairro Homogeneo Unglazed laid on cement. All the old grout seems to be Ok apart from this spot.It could be the atmosphere too dry too damp. Should I change to a different product?

Reply to Grout will not harden in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
  • Poll
Hi, I have a small en-suite 1200 x 2400, with a 1200 x 900mm linear drain tray which will have...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen