Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Grout starting to crack around floor tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

OP
R

rl11tr

-
Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
:)

You need a mastic joint matching grout colour around the floor to wall junction.
Should always have all tile to tile junctions siliconed anyway, as regardless of what they are fixed to, the grout always cracks and falls out as it’s not flexible
Yes; floor to wall junction is siliconed and not a problem - there is only about 1m of floor to wall anyway

OP
R

rl11tr

-
Reaction score
Thanks for all of the help

Thought I'd put up a photo to show what it looks like. The whole tiled area is only 2m x 1m. It's really just used as a cloakroom but happens to have a bath with shower over, in the room too. The hairline cracks are really hairline - wife can't see them but they are definitely there and there is the tiniest movement up and down if I press a couple of the tile corners. Cracks are only across the 1m width too. I'm thinking best to leave for now but take up tiles when they do come loose and screw down chipboard into concrete floor underneath. Then use more flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout. I think I'd have probably been OK if I'd gone for S2 and a flexible grout in the first place. The Ultra Tile Fix ProFlex SPES S1 supplied seems to be like concrete with zero flex and the Mapei UltraColor-Plus grout doesn't mention being flexible at all.

20211126_160049.jpg

Jon591

-
Reaction score

Yes; floor to wall junction is siliconed and not a problem - there is only about 1m of floor to wall anyway
Ah sorry I misread the original post and assumed as it usually is that the crack was around the perimeter,
The tiler should have used a flexible https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout if not you will have this problem. If the tiler did follow correct instructions then as suggested your sub floor is the issue, and with that I can’t give a helpful suggestion

Reply to Grout starting to crack around floor tiles in the Tiling Advice | Tile Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock