Discuss Grout colour difference in the America area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
Hi - any advice would be gratefully received.

The colour of the grout in my bathroom varies from light to dark grey.
I used Elise Pink Hexagon Wall and Fall Tiles from Victoria Plumbing, and Mapei flexible wall and flour grout in Grey. My bathroom fitter installed the tiles. At first I thought the colour difference was due to slower drying in some areas, however it has now been 2 months. I have not yet paid for the work.

The dark sections only occur in the real joins, however not all real joins are darker than the false joins within the tile. I think some sections of grout have become over-washed. The 'false' joins within the tile are not very deep, perhaps 1.5mm so the grout here is shallow and I think this has caused it to be over-washed.
After the installation I noticed that Victoria Plum recommend using Epoxy grout with these tiles - would this take better to a shallow 'false' joint?

Potential workaround? - When the grout is wet it has a consistent dark grey all throughout, this isn't ideal but is much better than the current state. I read on other forums that I could use an enhancer sealer such as aqua mix enrich and seal in order to get a consistent darker look. Is this a good compromise? Is there an alternative available in the UK?

What should I do to get an acceptable finish? - Try the enhancer? Re-grout with same grout? Regrout with Epoxy? Rip it all out and start again?

I'd really appreciate any help - Thanks!

Attachments

• 20220329_115942.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 25
  • 20220329_120000.jpg
    245.1 KB · Views: 21
Reaction score
Adding more photos. You can see grout missing and how the colour is sometimes darker even on the 'false' joints

Attachments

• 20220216_165132.jpg
    363.9 KB · Views: 15
  • 20220329_175039.jpg
    302.2 KB · Views: 16

Reply to Grout colour difference in the America area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Northern Tiler
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks