Discuss Floor screed drying time - advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

M

mick7

hi
what non modified adhesive to you recommend for sticking the porcelaine tiles to Ditra. I've got Bal CTF 3 but just realised that its "modified" and Ditra recommends non modified. many thanks

D

DHTiling

There are many brands suitable for use on Ditra but if you want to use a BAL one then use bal goldstar.....

BAL Gold Star
goldstar.jpg

A grey non-slip water/frost-resistant cemetitious adhesive for wall and floor applications with BAL Porcelbond Plus Technology allowing it to be used for fixing fully vitrified and porcelain tiles to a number of backgrounds/bases, such as concrete/brick/block walling, concrete bases, cement:sand rendering/screeds, plaster/plasterboard, mastic asphalt and backgrounds with a low porosity. Suitable for exterior and interior use. Extended workability time.

M

mick7

Many thanks for quick reply. Is'nt Gold Star a "modified" adhesive the same as Bal CTF3. I thought Schulter recommended non-modified ??? I'm only a novice at this?

D

DHTiling

What they mean by modified is a flexible adhesive....porcel-bond adhesives have only small amounts of polymers in so will be ok.....nearly all rapidsets etc are porcel-bond now....

M

mick7

Great, does that mean I can use the Bal CTF3 that I've already bought from Topps, it seems that it comes under the same heading as Bal Gold Star ??

Sorry to cross over to my other thread, but do you recommend I only use a third of a 20kg bag of green screed adhesive to get thin set coverage for my 5sq mts floor?

Should I use a 6mm round notched trowel instead of my 13mm round notched one??

Many thanks agin for your help

D

DHTiling

This is a reply i got from schluter about adhesives for ditra.....

Dear Mr Howe

Thank you for your enquiry regarding the application of Schlüter®-DITRA.

Please refer to www.schluter.co.uk for recommendations in the UK.

The type of adhesive used to apply Schlüter®-DITRA depends on the type of substrate. The adhesive must bond to the substrate and mechanically anchor the fleece on the underside of the Schlüter®-DITRA matting. For timber substrates, a vinyl acrylic adhesive or hydraulic cementitious tile adhesive may be considered, e.g. Ardex AF200 or single part flexible.

Immediately after the Schlüter®-DITRA matting is installed, the tiles can be fixed using the thin bed method and using an adhesive that matches the requirements of the tile covering. Therefore, porcelain tiles will require the appropriate adhesive, which will bond to the tile.

We hope that this helps with your enquiry. If we can be of further assistance, please don't hesitate to contact us here at Bardon 22.

W

White Room

[

Immediately after the Schlüter®-DITRA matting is installed, the tiles can be fixed using the thin bed method and using an adhesive that matches the requirements of the tile covering. Therefore, porcelain tiles will require the appropriate adhesive, which will bond to the tile.

I've asked this question before, So then it means porcelain will need a modified adhesive on ditra :whatchutalkingabout

D

DHTiling

I have emailed them back for a more definite answer....will let you's know what they say.....ceramics and stone tiles no probs but it is the old porcelain that needs addressing...

M

mick7

Thanks for that
I'm returning my CTF3 and will wait for a definite answer before I lay the tiles as all adhesives suitable for porcelaine seen to be modified.

F

frogeye

Hi folks
now I am in this position - refurbished the back of my house - just a downstairs toilet and a utility for the washer and dryer.
I have laid a screed - about 80mm 3 days ago - I will need to level it then tile (screeding isnt easy!).
So when to seal (with what?), when ready for self leveling and when to tile? I have read
1 day per 1mm that's about 2 .5 months!!! surely not?
The hurdles I have jumped through thanks to building control - the old tiles were laid on mortar and dirt - lasted well for 50 years - but I had to dig down half a metre, use hardcore, sand, dpc, 120 mm polystyrene, concrete and then screed, Got over an inch for a teracotta tile. time line anyone? Need it done for Xmas. Prices? Oh and recommended mats would help - no ufh to be fitted
frogeye

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The D

Hi folks
now I am in this position - refurbished the back of my house - just a downstairs toilet and a utility for the washer and dryer.
I have laid a screed - about 80mm 3 days ago - I will need to level it then tile (screeding isnt easy!).
So when to seal (with what?), when ready for self leveling and when to tile? I have read
1 day per 1mm that's about 2 .5 months!!! surely not?
The hurdles I have jumped through thanks to building control - the old tiles were laid on mortar and dirt - lasted well for 50 years - but I had to dig down half a metre, use hardcore, sand, dpc, 120 mm polystyrene, concrete and then screed, Got over an inch for a teracotta tile. time line anyone? Need it done for Xmas. Prices? Oh and recommended mats would help - no ufh to be fitted
frogeye
have a look at this thread Cyril Potter, Chief Chemist at Ardex UK

P

penno

Get some boards down to stand on and lay right on the screed a few hours after it has gone down, laying with a sand and cement mix, tiles won't go anywhere. Totally no need to wait 4 weeks.

F

frogeye

hi deano - i searched for the link to cyril potter and read the info - to wait a whole month was depressing reading - i like the idea of penno - lay on sand and cement as of now.
So floor prep - seal with what? self level for a measley 9m2 ( I am a crap screeder) but when to lay tiles? Looking for a time line here as I still have to fit the loo, make the room, fit the plasterboard, skim, do the ceiling.............. god it was only a quick refit - £ 4200 so far

Last edited by a moderator:
F

frogeye

cheers Dave - I did use the search facility - plus well done on incorporating the spell check on the advanced - or was it always there?

frogeye

Reply to Floor screed drying time - advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay