Discuss Floor screed drying time - advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

DHTiling

Get some boards down to stand on and lay right on the screed a few hours after it has gone down, laying with a sand and cement mix, tiles won't go anywhere. Totally no need to wait 4 weeks.

Can you give more info on this method please matt.....:thumbsup:

W

White Room

If a new screed is laid why would you need slc, 80mm is a lot of screed. Could'nt you use Bal Green screed adhesive

T

The D

[DLMURL="http://www.bal-adhesives.co.uk/products/green-screed"]BAL Adhesives - Products - green screed[/DLMURL]
:thumbsup:have a look at this one is good.

Last edited by a moderator:
F

frogeye

Hi whitebeam
as i said I am a crap screeder and not a plasterer - I was on my own and had 1,4 m2 to lay . Did my best as it was my own house. got it reasonably level considering the mad rush I was in and the fact I ended up doing it by torch.. Bal green screed sound good - will investigate - ta

frogeye

F

frogeye

Cheers deano
heres a 'g' for Birmingham :yes: you know what I mean
an answer to my problem - I will see what it costs, but at the end of the day if it does the job then thats fine.

sully

F

frogeye

£37 a bag I would expect a new kidney and fitted.
I will check application rates tomorrow -a genuine thanks for all the replies, it's been a big help - the thought of waiting till xmas to tile this small area was depressing to say the least. Just seen update - 3mm -mmmmmm - if only my screeding was that accurate - I think I could lose a bag in the middle bit. Quote anyone?
will throw in a relatively unused ts 60 something or other and a rubi washboy (little use to me now)

off to bed
cheers

frogeye ( possibly the worst tiler in the world!!! in voice of Carlsberg ad!)

P

penno

Can you give more info on this method please matt.....:thumbsup:

Done quite a few floors over the last few months using this method, mainly in superstores.

More or less as soon as the screed is down then you tile over it using a slurry mix of cement for adhesive.

G

Gazzer

Done quite a few floors over the last few months using this method, mainly in superstores.

More or less as soon as the screed is down then you tile over it using a slurry mix of cement for adhesive.

Tiled many floors this way in the early days, in fact that was the way back then. :thumbsup:

F

frogeye

I am all for the old ways(cheaper) - so is that just a bag of cement mixed very wet and place the tiles in position or is there a bit more to it than that as in a bit of sand too?

G

Gazzer

This method is for screeding floor and laying same day...not if floor is already screeded.
The way it was done was to screed an area of floor and the same day lay tiles by applying a slurry (neat cement and water) over the still damp screed and then tapping tiles into the compound. Worked great with the old quarry tiles.

F

frogeye

what a drag - too late then
I'll give it another week while I sort out the plasterboarding and have a go later
Will probably use quarries

M

medlar

This method is for screeding floor and laying same day...not if floor is already screeded.
The way it was done was to screed an area of floor and the same day lay tiles by applying a slurry (neat cement and water) over the still damp screed and then tapping tiles into the compound. Worked great with the old quarry tiles.

Yeah,i have just used that old method at my caravan,screeded a patio 34ft long by 14ft wide,laid my ( i know,not tiles lol ) york stone onto a slurry,left 2 hrs then grouted,it looks the dogs danglies,infact it looks that good other residents on the site have asked me for a quote,SORRY was my reply,i only done it for us,to much work involved for other people,patio base was 8" screed,because of the fall of the land.

Reply to Floor screed drying time - advice please in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay