Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Floor deflection videos... in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Z

zzr-matt

My bathroom floor is 12" x 2" joists on 400mm centres covering a 3.0m span. This is overlayed with 18mm chipboard screwed to the joists overlayed with 12mm ply screwed on a 5" grid. The ply had its edges and back face coated in SBR.

The tiles are 600 x 300 porcelain laid on a single part Granfix S2 rapid adhesive on a full bed and has been grouted with mapei ultracolor plus white grout about 2 days after the tiles were laid.

There are some small cracks appearing in the grout after a couple of weeks as can be seen in the photo below.

I have places a glass of water on this tile and jumped around the glass whilst taking a video of it, these are shown below.

Does this look like a subfloor deflection issue or is something else amiss?

grout_crack.jpg

[video=youtube_share;9p5ealPD2ug]http://youtu.be/9p5ealPD2ug[/video]

[video=youtube_share;Kadn3XuBB58]http://youtu.be/Kadn3XuBB58[/video]

D

DHTiling

Nice bunny hops :lol:

How soon after tiling was the floor walked on..? and it does look rather shallow in the joints..

The deflection seems to be ok..

Z

zzr-matt

Cheers! I was going for ultimate floor failure with the bunny hops!

It was at least 18hrs between laying and walking on, no rockers or hollow sounding tiles.

The ply was down for a number of months, i wonder if its moisture content is settling to a new level and its shrinking slightly.

Reckon its best to leave it for a couple of weeks and see if it gets worse? Or is it demolition sunday tomorrow?

Z

zzr-matt

Mixed so that it would hold a peak in the bucket. I may have been a bit quick to start sponging down hence the joints not looking that full.

Whats the correct proceedure for grouting?

S

Sean SML Tiling

My mistake, Must be getting them mixed up. The joints do look pretty empty unless its lippage.

Z

zzr-matt

No lippage i razor bladed each joint for an anti lipped finish. Unfortunately my grouting skills werent quite as good.

D

DHTiling

No lippage i razor bladed each joint for an anti lipped finish. Unfortunately my grouting skills werent quite as good.

rake out the grout... mix stiffer and leave to set longer before washing off...

if it cracks again , then you have a deflection issues at said point.

Z

zzr-matt

Cheers Dave. How thick should it be mixed and how long would you leave it before cleaning down?

D

DHTiling

Normally that grout is 1.1 to 1.3 ltrs of water per 5kg bag.. but i mix it thicker as as the polymers soften whilst leaving to slake it can go wetter... so stiffer than normal i say but wet enough to bond.

M

Mr T

loved that vid lol... mate it doesnt matter how long after grouting you sponge off.. Just dont put any pressure on the sponge at all when your doing it and you wont dig into the grout joint... But you do have to wait for the grout to start setting before you buff.

Reply to Floor deflection videos... in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Apatel
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks