Search the forum,

Discuss First Time Limestone Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

S

Stef

Tom go on the Schluter course you may be surprised as what you could learn there.
The guy that designed Ditra realised how tiling of old had lasted as long & that was to decouple it from the ground with a layer of sand.

C

Camper

If the screed was installed properly it already is decoupled (With styrofoam sheets instead of sand). With or without Ditra you still need to install movement joints. This is the reason for the cracks in the pictures above ( NO movement joints).

Floating-V6-LR1.jpg

B

Bill

Tom go on the Schluter course you may be surprised as what you could learn there.
The guy that designed Ditra realised how tiling of old had lasted as long & that was to decouple it from the ground with a layer of sand.
Not all did that. I have fixed onto suspended timber with sand and cement and had no problems....it is how you fix them that matters. I wish we had mobile phones 30 years ago that took photos!

B

Bill

Sorry I have no before or during photos but here is one I did not long ago...soft as turkish ceramics..... no decoupler fixed in sand and cement onto a concrete base......

20140603_143858.jpg 20140603_143753.jpg

S

Stef

If the screed was installed properly it already is decoupled (With styrofoam sheets instead of sand). With or without Ditra you still need to install movement joints. This is the reason for the cracks in the pictures above ( NO movement joints).

Floating-V6-LR1.jpg
"If the screed is installed properly"
If every screed was fitted this way then there would be no problem, that's where the decoupler comes into its own.
My pictures above are nothing to do with a movement join not being fitted.
No run is more than 3m long & is broken across the door ways, it was a badly fitted screed.

C

Camper

"If the screed is installed properly"
If every screed was fitted this way then there would be no problem, that's where the decoupler comes into its own.
My pictures above are nothing to do with a movement join not being fitted.
No run is more than 3m long & is broken across the door ways, it was a badly fitted screed.

It's true screed is rarely fitted by code. I suspect the reason for this is ignorance and/or price/time pressure.
However laying a decoupler just because it's stone and we have an anhydrite screed is also not code. This is my disagreement. It's not a prerequisite for a properly installed floor. Furthermore the decoupler is not a replacement for movement joints. Without movement joints your stone will crack even with a decoupler.

It is paramount that the OP inspect the screed, and have all issues rectified before laying the stone. And that all movement joints are kept intact and functional after the stone is set. This will ensure a long lasting floor.

F

Flintstone

Would you still insist on decoupling on an old screed that's been down many many years and still fine, maybe an origional concrete floor?

Reply to First Time Limestone Floor in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen