Search the forum,

Discuss Finishing off part tiled kitchen and bathrooms. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

B

bluevin123

Hi all,

Looked at a job last week for a woman I know at the gym, She wanted a bathroom tiled and kitchen tiled(walls only) she then asked if I could paint as well, I said well yeah, done a few jobs, only emulsion on walls ceiling glossing etc, she says you can do the lot if you like,its a ground floor flat in a warden patroled place and its completely empty,YES! nothing in the way, lovely,as well as paint the ceilings in the bathroom and kitchen. Nice little number for a couple of weeks.Five rooms in all.
Anyway I got caught out today though, the kitchen and the bathroom are already part tiled and she wants them tiled all over.They looked exactly 150x150mm plain white tiles. So I went to B&Q to get all the paint,rollers etc and picked up half a dozen boxes of the plain whites for £4.
When I got back I realised the tiles on the wall were 146 mm which made a big difference.Anyway back to change them,after visiting different shops found em,they are a Johnsons tile and a bit thicker but still only £4.
Didnt realise the plain whites could vary so much, will take note in future.
:stupid:
Also must say its not that nice finishing someone elses work, as your governed by where to start which could leave some awful cuts.. I actually ripped the splasback off and set it out my own way. Also around the windows there is no trim,just the edge of the tile showing which Id never do normally, what are your thoughts on finishing off something thats been part tiled?
Cheers,
Vinnie.

C

CJ CERAMICS

have to agree that i hate finishing others work, went to look at a job once were a husband had done 3 from 4 walls in a bathroom then they had split up and the wife asked me to finish the 4th wall the one with the window, anyway when i went to have alook there seemed to be something strange about the room. he had set his first tile unsquare and follwed on with the rest so at the top of the wall starting where he had, the tile was a 4 inch cut, by the time he had got to the 3rd wall the top tile was a 6 inch cut. needless to say didnt touch the job.:yikes::yikes::yikes:

W

WHID to?

Just did my first bathroom for a girl I work with. It was part tiled new build and she wanted the rest of the bath area tiled. Managed to get the right tiles (she had a half box of the old ones to go with). The guy that had tiled it had left her with a tub of fix and grout (2.5kg) to finish it off with! His grout lines were all over the place, I think he must have done it with his eyes closed and did not use spacers anywhere!

Managed to get it done with the help of Rubi wedges and she is very happy with the finished job but it was almost harder than any of the training exercises I did during my course with badly installed baths etc. It would have been quicker to rip off the old stuff and start again.

It was good practice and it looks like I may have a little more work coming off the back of it but what a pain.

B

bluevin123

Yeah I know what ya mean,,probably would be easier starting from scratch, but it surprising how long it can take especially when you have to tile round and under all the exposed pipes,round the back of the toilet etc.
Saying that,im glad im working though,first job in ages.
Cheers.
Vin.

Reply to Finishing off part tiled kitchen and bathrooms. in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I have moved into a new house and want to tile the downstairs bathroom walls. Its not a big room...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Hi all, I've laid some Arditex NA over the kitchen floor area (not under cabinets. The area is...
Replies
Views
Hello there, Relatively recently we had a new en-suite fitted (complete rip out of the old...
Replies
Views
Hi, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to tiling, my only previous "proper" job was my recent...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen