Discuss Filler/adhesive for plasterboard holes and when to tank in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Reaction score
I have some damaged plasterboard in a bathroom that needs repairing prior to being tiled. I have decided not to replace the plasterboard (due to the wall being Paramount partition board) and I don't plan to overboard it either (due to the bathroom being very tight on space). Photos are attached of the wall - the max depth of any damage is 10mm. None of the holes go all the way through to the cardboard innards of the wall.

I don't know whether I should use a filler like gyproc easi fill to fill the holes in the plasterboard, or a cement based tile adhesive instead. From my research it seems that tile adhesive might be the better option (is it?), but I also plan to tank the shower area and I am confused about what order the tasks should be done in.

If I were to be use normal filler, it seems simple - I would fill the holes first, then prime, tank, tile. But if it is better to use tile adhesive then it seems to get complicated. For example:
  1. Prime (I understand this would now have to happen first, as adhesive can't be applied straight to plasterboard)
  2. Fill holes with tile adhesive (is this the correct next step? I presume I need to make a relatively flat surface before tanking?)
  3. Tank (Can I apply the tanking solution directly over the tile adhesive, or do the patched over areas need to be primed again?)
  4. Tile (Tasks 1, 2 & 3 will take me a weekend to complete. I would then not have time to actually tile until the following weekend. Will it be a problem to have primed this far in advance?)
Below are the products I have purchased so far, although they could be returned if I've made any bad mistakes!
The tiles are 8mm porcelain tiles 600x300mm, weighing 19kg per sq m excluding adhesive, grout etc.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can offer! :)

Screenshot 2021-03-30 at 18.13.23.png

Reply to Filler/adhesive for plasterboard holes and when to tank in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Finias Coroama
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks