Make life easy, search the forum.

Discuss Tanking systems for skimmed plasterboard in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Reaction score
Please checkout the following advertisement.
Hi guys. New to the forum here.

So basically I have just had my bathroom plasterboarded using dot and dab method and it's now been skimmed. I will be getting a shower enclosure being installed so It needs to be tanked.

I have just realised I could have used a hardie backer board.

My questions are:
1.Does skimming reduce The weight the PB can carry

2. I have looked into tanking systems such as Everbuild tanking tub which is like a blue paint you just paint on.
There's also mapei Aqua defense and the mapei waterproof kit from screwfix.

Are the above kits any good. What would you advise to use to tank the shower cubicle.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
You want any that is a paint on rubbery type and no it wont reduce the bearing load any. I used to prefer BAL WP1 as it came with a good skrim tape. Some other types I couldn't get on with as easy.

Apologies for the delay in replying.

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hi. Yes skim reduces the weight limit from 32kg per sqr mtr to 20kg per sqr mtr. That’s to include https://www.tilersforums.com/forums/tile-adhesive/ and grout.
As for tanking , mapei or weber are my go to ones.

Kastar UK

Arms
Company Support
Reaction score
You want any that is a paint on rubbery type and no it wont reduce the bearing load any. I used to prefer BAL WP1 as it came with a good skrim tape. Some other types I couldn't get on with as easy.

Apologies for the delay in replying.
An experiment using 2 part epoxy glue , i glued the tray in , dragged it up the walls (tanked) , then tiled it
10 months ago , still looks brand new , bullet proof in laymans , dont think it will ever fail , waterproof before the tiles go on
Visited a job i did again last year , popped my head into the on suite , grout and silicone had already discoloured and cracked not that its going to leak but doesnt look so good .

Reply to Tanking systems for skimmed plasterboard in the Tanking and Wetrooms Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
mmcdon47
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock