Discuss Failed floor - is this an option? in the Australia area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Been to do some 'cosmetic' work on a floor today.

When I got there, cracks all over grout but no broken tiles. Most sounded hollow when tapped and suspected dot n dab. Question is, the method used for failed uncoupling mats (resin injection) would be an option. Not seen this before so not sure of the process. When I took the cracked grout out I could see a void of about 10mm to floor, confirming my suspicions. Would the resin injection method work on a void that size or only on a fraction of that. I'm asking this as the whole floor would have to come up otherwise. The kitchen units and large island are also fitted on top so it will be expensive to remove as its about 65m2.

Any input would help cheers

Reaction score
Sounds like a bad install, and at 65m2 I can see why your looking at resin injection. Are they expensive tiles as you would know the best option if dot and dabs would be a complete rip out and new install.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry Andy its a mixture of timber and screed

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sounds like a bad install, and at 65m2 I can see why your looking at resin injection. Are they expensive tiles as you would know the best option if dot and dabs would be a complete rip out and new install.

It is without doubt a bad install, and the guy who did is no longer in the country apparently!!! They look like £25-30m IMO. The customer knows after what I've told them today that it really should come up, but I've guessed at about £7-8k minimum to do it right, hence me asking the question.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I think trying to fill a void of that magnitude would end up more expensive than taking the tiles up and replacing them. That said there is not reason why the resin injection method would not work.

Andy Allen

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Sounds like a recipe for disaster if the grouts cracking then surely its just a matter of time before the tiles come loose or crack....

W

White Room

I don't know of any companys that do the resin but might be worth finding one that may give further advise whether it can be done or a rip out may be necessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
T

The Legend; Phil Hobson RIP

It is without doubt a bad install, and the guy who did is no longer in the country apparently!!! They look like £25-30m IMO. The customer knows after what I've told them today that it really should come up, but I've guessed at about £7-8k minimum to do it right, hence me asking the question.
Not sure how much the resin will fill John, maybe a call to Dural or genesis? I had two failed mats and I think they are now resolved now Good luck and thanks for the testimorial.

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think trying to fill a void of that magnitude would end up more expensive than taking the tiles up and replacing them. That said there is not reason why the resin injection method would not work.

What depth/ thickness can the resin be injected to Alan?

CJ

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Just a thought......if they go for injection method......and it fails? Will they ring you??

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
What depth/ thickness can the resin be injected to Alan?

Ostensibly it can be any depth. It becomes an issue with cost though. A typical 2pack epoxy resin bonding agent would be in the region of £50 to £70 per 5kg unit. 5kg will not cover much so i think it would be very expensive to inject a whole floor.

Ajax123

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Just a thought......if they go for injection method......and it fails? Will they ring you??

There would be no reason for it to fail. It would be a bit like restocking the tiles with flexible araldite glue...

John Benton

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I think it might be worth a call to see if someone is willing to have a look and offer an opinion on the floor and see if a. it's feasible and b. cost effective

T

TJ Smiler

If it was me i would give them the number of the firm who does the injection, wish them luck and walk away.

Reply to Failed floor - is this an option? in the Australia area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks