Tile Forum | America Tile Forum

Welcome to America Tile Forum, the USA Tile Industry. The Tile Association of America.

Discuss Durabase underlay in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

G

GeorgeG

Hi guys,

I really need your professional experience on a project e are currently doing.

We have just had an extension to the rear of the kitchen, so the new part is a concrete floor and the old part is a wooden suspended floor. The builders have told me that they are weary of putting down tiles as they are worried about cracking between the new area and the old, also the movement that is going on the wood floor at the moment.

They are going to brace the wood floor area so that should cure that hopefully.

What I wanted to know is that could we run Durabase through the whole are and use flexible adhesive to cure the cracking issue? Has anyone had any similar experience with this product? Has it been successful. I have seen details on the internet saying that there is 3mm tolerance in movement with this product.

We are going to be having electric underfloor heating as well.

I really do not want to put hardwood flooring down in this area as we have young kids and a dog, which I can see ruining it within a couple of years.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Cheers

George.

J

J Sid

you will have to treat each area, wood and concrete as two separate floors with expansion joint between them and ufh to each.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
The easiest and British Standard solution is to incorporate a movement joint between the two substrates. Personally, if this was my project I'd lay thermal insulation backer boards brickbond glued and screwed over the floor after having first strengthened the timber half. UHF over this, slc over the wires then the durabase before finally the tiles. I'd also run the two areas on different heaters.

Rich Midge

TF
Esteemed
Reaction score
Even with the backerboards I'd imagine heat up, cool down will be different where they're laid over the concrete and the timber. Just trying to minimise any risk of failure. Happy to be told different though.

peteablard

TF
Arms
Reaction score
The easiest and British Standard solution is to incorporate a movement joint between the two substrates. Personally, if this was my project I'd lay thermal insulation backer boards brickbond glued and screwed over the floor after having first strengthened the timber half. UHF over this, slc over the wires then the durabase before finally the tiles. I'd also run the two areas on different heaters.
Same for me with an expansion joint running between the two

G

GeorgeG

Thank you soooo much guys, I think that would really work, just have to run it by the builders on Monday. Also what does "SLC over the wires" mean?

Reply to Durabase underlay in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

Please note that this thread is old so replying to it may not get a response. You'd be best posting a new thread with a good 4 or 5 word title.
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
laattaana
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks