Search the forum,

Discuss drilling ceramics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jwatson

for ceramic i always use a normal masonry bit for towel rails ect, and i have never cracked a single tile yet. my method is to mark the tile where hole is to be drilled. select hammer drill and simply mark the tile on hammer by drilling for a second. take hammer drill off and continue to drill hole. the bit will simply follow the mark you have made.
a steady hand is needed

D

diamondtiling

for ceramic i always use a normal masonry bit for towel rails ect, and i have never cracked a single tile yet. my method is to mark the tile where hole is to be drilled. select hammer drill and simply mark the tile on hammer by drilling for a second. take hammer drill off and continue to drill hole. the bit will simply follow the mark you have made.
a steady hand is needed

noy very good advice there j, hammer drill is not recommended at all.

:oops:

J

jwatson

i know, i know very naughty, :tt2: riskey without practice
but has never failed for me on ceramic.

i am ashamed for posting that do it the propper way guys:smilewinkgrin:

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
I used to turn the chuck a few times with my hand which scores ceramics enough to drill slowly. Never on hammer though.

S

Scott

Dewalt extreme masonry bits have a really small point on them that marks the tiles perfectly. Alas no good on anything harder though

F

facetile

have used hole cutting kits from plasplugs but they are quite difficult to get hold of.
drills through ceramic, porcelain no problem. :thumbsup:

macten

TF
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
I'll admit to using hammer action. Maybe I need to upgrade my old Makita as no hammer action = zero progress.

S

Scott

I have done it once by mistake with and sds and smashed it to bits. I was drilling it before i fixed it though so all was not lost

D

Deleted member 1779

have used hole cutting kits from plasplugs but they are quite difficult to get hold of.

Plasplugs went bankrupt and then restarted. So you might find some inconsistency with supply.

Their diamond cores also have a flaw with the water tank. You cant use the same water tank on the wall as you use on a floor tile. So you have to buy 2 x the same size.

Our cores provide good value for money and form a perfect hole.

News Alert to professional tilers: Our bundle price of 8 cores for £49.99 works out at a credit crunch busting £6.25 per core if you buy a pack of 6mm and a pack of 8mm of these tool box essentials.

365Drills PORSADRILL Brand Will last for AGES.

In contrast the Plasplugs cores work out at about £15.53 each (source - Choicefull.com 9/7/2010) so 8 cores would set you back £124.24

That is £74.25 more expensive than 365drills Porsadrill £49.99 for 8 cores.
And thats if you can find them.

365Drills are a healthy financial company trading well and exporting all over the world from Worksop with UK jobs. We enjoy providing professional installers and tilers with fantastic value for money and robust equipment able to stand up to porcelain tiles - so perfect on ceramics.

:thumbsup:

Reply to drilling ceramics in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi All, We are looking for a tiler for potential tiling work in the Suffolk and Essex area. We...
Replies
Views
Hello, I'm just a home owner who doesn't have much experience with tiling but I'm looking for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen