Discuss Dismayed with poor tiling in bathroom...advice needed in the Canada area at TilersForums. The USA and UK Tiling Forum (Also now Aus, Canada, ROI, and more)

Warthog

TF
Reaction score
The agreement we came to yesterday was for him to pay for my tiles. However that was before I noticed even more shoddy work and now the other faults the second tiler has pointed out. I think he was maybe being cute yesterday morning as he knew he would be getting off lightly by buying back my tiles. I’m just so annoyed with both him and myself for not doing more homework. I found him via checkatrade with good reviews and I really liked him when he came for the estimate. The estimate seemed fair and professionally laid out too.

My cowboy was 5* through CheckaTrade and left my bathroom in an equally terrible state. It is impossibly difficult to leave bad reviews.

That mess in your bathroom needs to be stripped back and re-prepped, good to see that’s what you’re doing as you’ll only be disappointed in the future otherwise.

D

Dumbo

My cowboy was 5* through CheckaTrade and left my bathroom in an equally terrible state. It is impossibly difficult to leave bad reviews. If you go to a quality tile store they’ll have recommended tilers that they’ve vetted rather than CheckaTrades bought reviews.

That mess in your bathroom needs to be stripped back and re-prepped.
Not quite true so tile shops will give out any card if the guy buys his gear there , do your own research .

Reaction score
Sorry for not getting back with the outcome. New tiler was fantastic and everything finished to a high standard. He managed to hide the fall in the window sill too. Trim work really neat too.

03180E2D-8114-4D7D-A215-9620F84B7413.jpeg

4735F002-EE67-45F8-B5DA-C69ACACB6D55.jpeg

D

Dumbo

What you need to realise is some people don't know a good job if it hit them in the face. I went to look at a job once and the woman was reading me the riot act , obviously the last tiler had upset her and we all got tarred with the same brush , but any we go to her and we look at her wall tiling with her telling me this is the standard she expects, so I'm thinking to myself if you really want adhesive coming through the grout and a couple of spacers poking I suppose I could try to do that .
Moral if the story don't trust other people's judgement as to what is a good job ..

Reaction score
I agree that the tiling is very poor and needs to be stripped. This quality of work is quite typical though. I see it all the time. A lot of people just accept it. It’s good that you’re pulling him up on it. Keep in mind that when the plasterboard is ripped off the stud wall, it’ll need horizontal noggins where the existing and new board meets. Dot and dabbed wall will require some dry-wall adhesive pushed behind the existing plasterboard before the new board is dabbed on.
Please make sure that window sill is sorted. A good Tiler will always check the window for level and Plumb before tiling. He will try to hide anything that is out of true, not accentuate it.
[automerge]1568063333[/automerge]
Looks like I got here a bit late. You’ve got to laugh. I’m glad you got it sorted. Looks a million times better

Reply to Dismayed with poor tiling in bathroom...advice needed in the Canada area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dawz84
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock    No Thanks