Search the forum,

Discuss decoupling membrane over hardi in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com.

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Evening all, ive measured up 75 metres of suspended chipboard flooring split into four rooms at a property last night.ive allways used hardi to overboard wooden substrates but was wandering if a decoupling membrane could be used? Theres a good deal on at ctd and thought this way could possibly get my quote down on price and mats. The floors are deflection free and I will be securing boards before both options :smilewinkgrin:

J

J Sid

If it was me i would go with detra every time over hardie, especially if the floor is deflection free. Would be asking what is best to stick the detra to the chip board floor. CTD are the best price i have found.

judge

TF
Arms
Reaction score
tiles will be 600 x 300 porc and 300 x 300 ceramics whitebeam.Was thinking of using weber spf for sticking membrane to surface.I am a little concerned about possible contamination in the chipboard as its been trafficed unprotected for about six months.(its not dirty but being its not mechanically fixed im a little concerned of the bond even if primed with apd. Could it be lightly sanded before prime ?)

W

White Room

tiles will be 600 x 300 porc and 300 x 300 ceramics whitebeam.Was thinking of using weber spf for sticking membrane to surface.I am a little concerned about possible contamination in the chipboard as its been trafficed unprotected for about six months.(its not dirty but being its not mechanically fixed im a little concerned of the bond even if primed with apd. Could it be lightly sanded before prime ?)

Hardie actually say use a non flexi adhesive under the boards then mechanically fixed, I use screwfix turbo gold 25mm screws...

C

charlie1

Hi judge, decoupling membrane and hardie are different things for different types of movement. If your floor is deflection free then great, put down 6 mm hardie! If however as I suspect , you have concerns with lateral movement then use a decoupler.

S

Stef

I would just overboard with Hardie 6mm,
I think for the tiles you are fitting then Ditra is a bit overkill.
I don't think you really get a lot of lateral movement in wooden floors if they are deflection free to start with.
It's normally too much bounce in a wooden floor that will affect the tiles.
CTD are doing a great deal on Ditra so it's what ever works out cheaper..

Reply to decoupling membrane over hardi in the Canada Tile Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen