Search the forum,

Discuss Crackle Glaze tile discoloured in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

D

dodd4721

Shower.jpg I work as a self employed tiler and after moving in to my new home decided to re fit the bathroom and install a shower tray and frameless enclosure. I purchased 6 square metres of antique smooth crackle glaze tiles from Walls & Floors.co.uk and used them for the two walls of the shower enclosure. The tiles were sealed twice with LTP crackle glaze sealer before use and instructions were followed exactly. The tiles were applied to fully tanked and sealed shower walls using Mapei adhesive, the shower wall profile brackets were fitted to fully tiled and grouted walls as per the manufacturers fitting installation procedure.The wall grout used was Mapei Kerapoxy epoxy grout.
The corner tiles in both corners of the bottom row of the shower enclosure have changed colour completely from cream to a uniform and even mid putty grey, in addition the edges of some of the other tiles have developed a grey edge to them also, when the tiles were fitted they were not discoloured in any way and the problem has developed after 2 weeks of use.
The thought of having to strip out all of the tiles and starting again is too much to bear, can anyone offer any advice or does anyone know of this happening before? I'm hoping that it may be a case of letting the tiles dry out and resealing but I fear this may not be the case?
Any help or advice would be very much appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
I've just looked at the Walls & Floors website and although it does not say anything about where you can and can't put these tiles it does however show a picture of the tiles with a toothbrush and cup!!

Other crackle glazed tiles have this bit of info: However, in areas where water is directly hitting the tile, such as in a shower, we strongly recommend in addition applying LTP Grout and Tile Protector after fixing, which will add extra protection.

Some tile manufacturers recommend soaking the tiles in sealer for 5 mins prior to fixing!

Personally I would not use crackle glazed tiles in a shower area.

I came to the help of a man in Chiswick a couple of years ago when his tiles were letting in water. I had to seal them about 6 times to cure the problem. However, these tiles will need to be re sealed probably every year.

Maybe water has got into your tiles and a period of no use of the shower will return the tile back to its colour. Remember that tanking will add to the drying time of adhesive.

I can't offer any real solutions to your issue, but i'm sure that you will get a few more replies soon.

Good luck.

D

dodd4721

Thanks Sean, your advice is much appreciated, when you sealed your customer's tiles in Chiswick what sealer did you use? - the LTP Grout & Tile Protector or a different branded product? I'm hoping the tiles have dried out in a week or so, there is a heated towel rail in the bathroom that's permanently on.
I've resisted the thought of speeding things up with a hair dryer on a gentle setting as I don't want to trap any mould in the glaze although as they have only been laid for 2 weeks there is no mould yet in the glaze itself anyway, only in the very edges of the grout lines [although the grout used was Mapei Kerapoxy which is not supposed to go mouldy?] I can only think this black mould is the residual moisture escaping from the biscuit of the tile. The Shower Wall Profile brackets were fitted to fully tiled and grouted walsl and silicone sealed on both vertical sides, I have checked the area directly underneath the shower tray and there are no leaks at all. I can only think the moisture is coming in through the face of the tile via the crackle glaze, everywhere else is perfectly fitted and sealed.

D

dodd4721

Hi David, I have got pics but I can't figure out how to put them on this thread. I will try to suss it out and post some as soon as I do, I've checked for leaks from the enclosure but everything is water tight, it can only be coming in through the face of the tile. When I cut the tiles I remember thinking how thin and fragile the glaze seemed, too late now I realise but if there is a way of saving them I will be most relieved! Based on my own experience I would now not recommend crackle glaze tiles to anyone tiling a shower enclosure.
It does seem to be biscuit wetting from showering.

got any pics ?

D

dodd4721

Hi David, my appologies, I will post some pics as soon as I suss out how to do it!

Sean Kelly

TF
Arms
Reaction score
Sorry for late reply, just got back from a not so romantic valentines night away in a hotel (with kids!!!).

I digress!!!!!

Seal Guard sealer is the one I use. funnily enough I just bid & won the spray version on ebay for 99p !!!!! bargain.

D

dodd4721

Hi Al, thanks for getting in touch, the silicone is all in tact and doesn't appear to have come away from anywhere. It was sealed roughly 10 days ago using Dow Corning 785 using a Fugi tool with a 10mm profile and left for 48 hours before use.

D

dodd4721

It just gets worse! - I've let the shower dry out for the last 3 days after the initial corner tiles of the bottom row changed colour, now the 2nd and 3rd rows of tiles have started to change colour also, there is a greyish blush that seems to be spreading across the wall, also some of the tiles further up the wall have the same grey colouring on their edges!

Reply to Crackle Glaze tile discoloured in the Australia Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen