Search the forum,

Discuss Cracked Grout in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com.

T

Time's Ran Out

He's already been back once and although surprising didn't fix the issue at that time I believe he's a tradesman trying to do a proper job!
I try not to judge totally on one point of view and often hope that by presenting an alternative option it allows for further discussion. Often the original post is limited in detail and it's difficult to provide the correct evaluation of the issue, however in this instance the cellar void under this floor could be a contributing factor to this perimeter cracking. What if the kitchen has been fitted since tiling with granite work tops - adding a ton or so to the joists!
I'am sure we have all been involved in this type of call back - where there is no damage to the tiling, but a hairline crack to the skirting through vibration on a suspended floor. If the cutting has allowed for a joint to the edge than an expansion joint can be filled with decorators chaulk and painted rather than leaving silicone to get dirty and discolour. It would have been better to have allowed the movement to have taken place under the skirting unseen but how many contracts cost for that.
In conclusion - not much more to add - I'am out!

N

natalie stanley

He's already been back once and although surprising didn't fix the issue at that time I believe he's a tradesman trying to do a proper job!
I try not to judge totally on one point of view and often hope that by presenting an alternative option it allows for further discussion. Often the original post is limited in detail and it's difficult to provide the correct evaluation of the issue, however in this instance the cellar void under this floor could be a contributing factor to this perimeter cracking. What if the kitchen has been fitted since tiling with granite work tops - adding a ton or so to the joists!
I'am sure we have all been involved in this type of call back - where there is no damage to the tiling, but a hairline crack to the skirting through vibration on a suspended floor. If the cutting has allowed for a joint to the edge than an expansion joint can be filled with decorators chaulk and painted rather than leaving silicone to get dirty and discolour. It would have been better to have allowed the movement to have taken place under the skirting unseen but how many contracts cost for that.
Thanks again for your reply John, appreciated.
Thanks for your reply John, appreciated. There has been no kitchen fitted since the floor was laid. The whole kitchen was done october 2013. The builder who also did the tiling didn't lay the subfloor correctly resulting in cracks in the tiles. He messed me around for a good year denying he did a bad job before eventually agreeing to do the work to correct it. By that point I decided that he wasn't qualified to do the work and got a professional tiler to redo the floor.

This tiler aware of the previous problem, strengthened the subfloor with his partner before relating new tiles.

I'm not denying a good job has been done but I'm also very weary and worried because of what happened previously.

The grout line between the stairs and the tile is continuing to crack which is understandable as we walk up and down the stairs several times a day. Last night I noticed a clicking type of sound when I walked on on the middle of the floor. I've walked on it several times since to try and locate the sound. It doesn't always give out the clicking sound but it does come back every now and then...could it be wooden joists underneath and if so what does it suggest? I am naturally worried.

N

natalie stanley

Thanks again for your reply John, appreciated.

Thanks for your reply John, appreciated. There has been no kitchen fitted since the floor was laid. The whole kitchen was done october 2013. The builder who also did the tiling didn't lay the subfloor correctly resulting in cracks in the tiles. He messed me around for a good year denying he did a bad job before eventually agreeing to do the work to correct it. By that point I decided that he wasn't qualified to do the work and got a professional tiler to redo the floor.

This tiler aware of the previous problem, strengthened the subfloor with his partner before relating new tiles.

I'm not denying a good job has been done but I'm also very weary and worried because of what happened previously.

The grout line between the stairs and the tile is continuing to crack which is understandable as we walk up and down the stairs several times a day. Last night I noticed a clicking type of sound when I walked on on the middle of the floor. I've walked on it several times since to try and locate the sound. It doesn't always give out the clicking sound but it does come back every now and then...could it be wooden joists underneath and if so what does it suggest? I am naturally worried.
Forgot to add - when the floor came up, the skirts came up too so there are no grout joints around the edge, only where the stairs are

N

natalie stanley

Can you supply a wide angle view photo of the affected area?
Hi Tom do these pictures help - 1 is of the stairs and grout crack is, the other is the view into the kitchen if standing on the stairs looking in to it

image.jpg image.jpg

B

Bill

I would expect grout to crack if this was my floor too. Like has been said numerous times, this is not poor workmanship. I wouldn't even be worried and I would either rake out the affected joint next to the stairs and re grout (now the floor has settled) and replace with a mastic joint.

Reply to Cracked Grout in the Tile Adhesive / Grout Advice area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
A little help guys. I've been asked to price 71sqm of limestone flooring. My issue is this...
Replies
Views
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen