Search the forum,

Discuss concrete floor prep and SLC prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

R

RodgerQ

hi, im about to embark on my first concrete floor job and could be doin with some info please.

the floor is a bit rough so have decided to use SLC to flatten out the irregularities before actually tiling it.

firstly does the actual conrete need anything doing to it other than a good clean before applying the SLC?

secondly, when the SLC is down, what preperation does this need before i can tile onto it. its just some bog standard ceramic tiles im using.

thanks for any help

rodgerq

D

diamondtiling

Hi Rodger, brush the floor throughly and apply a good quality bonding agent to it, dont use PVA.
Once you have laid the SLC this will need to be bonded before tiling starts.
What SLC are you using?

:thumbsup:

R

RodgerQ

i havent made a decision yet TBH as i have only just looked at the job and decided that is what needs doing. Never used it before so i dont have much, if any at all, clue about it.

can you suggest one thats suitable along with an apropriate bonding agent?

thanks for the help

rodgerq

D

diamondtiling

Tile giant stock these items if you have one near to you.
They actually have latex plus which is a 2 part product.

You could also use a one part SLC thats available from most good retailers, use an acrylic bond such as primer g

R

RodgerQ

yeah theres a Tile Giant in Hillington, near Glasgow iirc. i'll head up there and see what they've got to offer.

thanks for the info, much appreciated!!! :thumbsup:

rodgerq

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
primer g is good by mapei. i tend to mix it with a bit more water than it states on bag you usually put 5 litres of water i would use a little bit more so it runs nice and free

D

doug boardley

primer g is good by mapei. i tend to mix it with a bit more water than it states on bag you usually put 5 litres of water i would use a little bit more so it runs nice and free
primer g comes in a bottle and is a liquid:smilewinkgrin:

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
just 2 elaborate when mixing the slc i usually add extra water above the usual 5 litre standard amount i find it runs alot better . primer g comes in a blue bottle and is made by mapei .hope that clear things up

A

Aston

hi roger

how long has the concrete been down???
if its a while, then it will be very dry and very porous too!!
give it a quick scrape if there are any high spots and a good brush...sprinkle some water down too to grab the dust and put a bit of moisture into it (only if its not recently laid :thumbsup:)
i would use sbr to prime and then hit it with your slc
mix it in a gorilla tub and pour ...dont hang about too much, pour spread out with a trowel or squeegee etc and when you have done a section use a spiked roller to take any air bubbles out.....then onto the next section till done :thumbsup:

you can pick a cheap spiked roller up from ebay for around £19-00
make the mix so it runs easily, let it do the work if you get my point

ed

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

just 2 elaborate when mixing the slc i usually add extra water above the usual 5 litre standard amount i find it runs alot better . primer g comes in a blue bottle and is made by mapei .hope that clear things up

Try and stick to the manufacturers mixing instructions, if anything ever goes wrong at least you can be sure you did everything right.
I mark my buckets with a line to show how much water is needed.

nybor62

TF
Reaction score
i once stuck to the manafactures mixing instructions when making some yorkshire puddings they were as flat as a fart .dont believe everything you read

Reply to concrete floor prep and SLC prep in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Good morning all. After a little advice. I'll post pictures a bit later. However.... The...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen