Search the forum,

Discuss Causes of cracked limestone tiles with UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

J

jasonh15

Hi

We have a problem with linear cracks in a newly laid limestone tiled floor.
The screed substrate at around 65-70mm thickness was laid by the builder onto the foundations, then an extra thick layer of insulation - required by building control due to extra glass in the room. The screed has wet under floor heating in it.

Then limestones tiles were laid around 4-6 weeks (he says 6 weeks but I think it more likely 4 at most) later onto flexible adhesive provided by the tile supplier.
The area is approximately 10m long and 7m wide going down to 5m.
The UFH was not ramped up and down by the builder before he laid the tiles but it was gradually eased up after the tiles were laid over a period of about a month. The work was done last summer.

The cracks started to appear as the weather got colder in the winter and the UFH was on most of the time at its max temperature. They travel in both directions and span multiple tiles, They start as hairline cracks but the limestone does flake away and the crack opens up becoming more obvious.

One interesting thing is that the cracks only appear in about 2/3 of the floor area. In about 1/3 of the floor area where a different flexible adhesive was used, because the amount supplied by the tile supplier ran out, there are no cracks whatsoever.

The builder is blaming the tile suppliers adhesive, because he says it is to be expected that the screed will crack with UFH but the flexible adhesive should take the stresses of the cracks.
However the tile supplier is saying the screed must have cracked and no flexible adhesive can prevent cracking of the tile if there is significant cracking of the screed.

The builder had attempted to take up a line of cracked tiles, to inspect for damage to the screed, but had to abandon it because of the risk of damage to the screed and UFH and the surrouding good tiles. He also though that the bit of adhesive he took up, which is said he will get analysed, seems very rigid with no feeling of elasticity too it.

Any thought on this would be much appreciated?
Would flexible adhesive that had set feel rigid or should there is a "flexible" feel to it?
It is possible to get adhseive chemically analysed to establish whether it is what is was expected to be?
With UFH should we expect screed to crack and if so should should th3e flexible adhseive handle this?
Should it be possible to perform spot repairs on the tiles/screed/adhesive without damaging the rest of the floor - is my builder just using the wrong tools?

J

jay

hi can we have a bit more info please as in names of adh used and what type of screed was used thanks

J

jasonh15

UFH was checked before the screed was laid but then not used again during the screed drying time or before the tiles were laid.

I am not sure on the exact adhesive make but I think Weber were the supplier.
Similarly on the screed but the builder said it included fibres to strengthen it in the event that cracking occurred.

D

diamondtiling

The UFH should have been brought up to max temperature very slowly and then brought back down again before tiling commenced, Ajax (trusted advisor) is not on right now but I know that he will tell you exactly what went wrong when he reads this thread.

:20:

G

grumpygrouter

It would have been beneficial to have laid a decoupling membrane like Durabase or Ditra underneath your tiles. Limestone is very fragile and the UFH and temp changes, along with the settling of the screed has transferred all the stresses through to your tiles. A decoupling membrane would have been a way to prevent this.

Flexible adhesive doesn't feel "elastic" unless it is something like BAL fastflex. Flexible means it will "move" more at molecular level when stresses are applied to it because of the polymers they are manufuctured with, not that it will bend and squash.

Last edited by a moderator:
D

diamondtiling

It would have been beneficial to have laid a decoupling membrane like Durabase or Ditra underneath your tiles. Limestone is very fragile and the UFH and temp changes, along with the settling of the screed has transferred all the stresses through to your tiles. A decoupling membrane would have been a way to prevent this.

I agree with everything you have said Russ but even if he did all the above I think problems would still have arose because of not having the UFH on and allowing it to reach max temp and then cool before tiling.

:thumbsup:

P

peckers

you say the floor was tested prior to the screed being laid, the heating should have been turned on and run with the screed down and allowed to cool down and be turned off prior to tiling the floor. It sounds to me as if that now the heating has been used that the screed has cracked in places and it has gone threw to the tiles. It sounds like the screed has expanded once the heating has been turned on, and the spf if this is what was used couldn't keep up with the expansion rate of the screed, the heating should have not been turned on for the first two weeks once the tiling was complete and then only put on a couple of degrees and then slowly increased day by day.

You can remove the grout around the edge off the tile using a oscilating tool with a grout remover blade in it or buy a hand one if you like then you can break the tile out and inspect the screed. you shouldnt damage the heating as it is in the screed?
If the builder is blaming the adhesive company then the adhesive company can come and take away a sample and have it tested, to make sure the right adhesive was used.

The questions i would be asking is.....
1 why was the heating not turned on and commisioned with the screed down before tiling?
2 is there expansion joints in the screed around the perimeter of the room?
3 is there expansion joints for the tiles around the perimeter of the room?
4 why was there not a de-coupling membrane used, was one suggested?
5 The exact adhesive and grout used?

P

peckers

I agree with everything you have said Russ but even if he did all the above I think problems would still have arose because of not having the UFH on and allowing it to reach max temp and then cool before tiling.

you guys beat me to it DITTO:thumbsup::thumbsup:

J

jasonh15

thanks for responses so far - answers to peckers questions:

1 why was the heating not turned on and commisioned with the screed down before tiling?
I'll be asking the builder/tiler but he was pushing to get the job finished quicker.
Yes there is supposed to be - I believe there is a 25mm polystyrene border
Yes for 2 also
Not suggested. I only came across this type of thing when googling for background information.
Unfortunately I do not know this - on te invoice it just says flexible. Manufacturer was Weber and Stonell were who we bought it all off.

The heating in the screed. I will suggest the method you have proposed for removing individual tiles.

D

diamondtiling

thanks for responses so far - answers to peckers questions:

I'll be asking the builder/tiler but he was pushing to get the job finished quicker.
Yes there is supposed to be - I believe there is a 25mm polystyrene border
Yes for 2 also
Not suggested. I only came across this type of thing when googling for background information.
Unfortunately I do not know this - on te invoice it just says flexible. Manufacturer was Weber and Stonell were who we bought it all off.

The heating in the screed. I will suggest the method you have proposed for removing individual tiles.

The sentence in bold letters above may have been the start of your problems. Screed dries at 1mm per day at the correct temperature, when it was laid it should have been covered whilst it gained maximum strength, with the cold weather we have had lately drying times take longer.
I have just finished a Sandstone floor that was on a 70mm screed that also had wet UFH in the screed, the screed was allowed to dry for nearly 3 months.

Can you post some pictures?

G

Gazzer

10m is a long run...too long IMO for tiles without an expansion joint.
As the guys have said, the heating should have been commisioned before tiling by bringing it up to full heat over a period of days.
Again as mentioned Limestone and indeed again IMO natural stones should have a decoupling membrane added for extra safety.
And lastly the floor was not allowed time to dry before tiling even at 6 weeks !

Last edited by a moderator:
J

jasonh15

Here is a picture
Consensus seems to be screed cracking is the problem here due to poor implementation of it (lack of drying time and failure to run up the UFH for a period before laying tiles). Rather than poor or non flexible adhesive.

Still difficult to explain why one third of the room remains unaffected and coincidentally that is where the different screed was used.

Attachments

• Jan19th-2010 011.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 312
J

jay

Still difficult to explain why one third of the room remains unaffected and coincidentally that is where the different screed was used.

do you mean screed as in sub floor or screed as in tile adh

G

Gazzer

There proving that not all adhesives are the same but the point being that either adhesive companies would specify the drying period as the same as we have stated.

Reply to Causes of cracked limestone tiles with UFH in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi! I'm looking for some advice, I have laid some SLC (Mapei 1210) in our conservatory in...
Replies
Views
I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen