Discuss Bathroom Tile Layout Advice Needed in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums. USA and UK Tiling Forum

Fuggle

-
Reaction score
Hi guys -- need some aesthetic advice here. I'm tiling a wall in my small bathroom with subway tiles (75x150mm). One half of the wall is taken up by a fitted bath, the other with a wooden countertop with a sit-on basin. The height difference between the bath and the countertop is such that one or the other of them will need to have a half-height row of tiles immediately above it. It's going to look pretty crap, but I can't see any way around it. Couple of questions ...

1) Which would look less crap -- half tiles above the bath, or above the countertop?

2) Are there any clever dodges or workarounds? All I can think of is to use a similar colour grout to make it less obvious.

Cheers!

Dave

TF
Staff member
Esteemed
Arms
Premium
Reaction score
Hi guys -- need some aesthetic advice here. I'm tiling a wall in my small bathroom with subway tiles (75x150mm). One half of the wall is taken up by a fitted bath, the other with a wooden countertop with a sit-on basin. The height difference between the bath and the countertop is such that one or the other of them will need to have a half-height row of tiles immediately above it. It's going to look pretty crap, but I can't see any way around it. Couple of questions ...

1) Which would look less crap -- half tiles above the bath, or above the countertop?

2) Are there any clever dodges or workarounds? All I can think of is to use a similar colour grout to make it less obvious.

Cheers!
Imo. Cut around the work top. đź‘Ť

Trigger

Arms
Reaction score
It may depend on if both the bath and basin are bang on level, if one of them is not as level as it should be that needs to be the cut tile.

Or, if you have the option to do it raise or lower the bath or basin by half a tile (37.5mm).

Or, make a wooden upstand (37.5mm) for the basin unit from the same material as the work top.

Or, nope thats me done, can't think of anything else.

OP
F

Fuggle

-
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. Very helpful.

Yeah, I think the bath will get the whole tile and as Trigger suggests I'll make a little upstand to hide the gap above the countertop. I've got some leftover bits of iroko.

I could raise the whole countertop, plumbing and all, but just the thought of it makes me feel exhausted!

Thanks again

Reply to Bathroom Tile Layout Advice Needed in the DIY Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile training advice or the Tile Standards

This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.

Replies you've not seen

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dazzer