Discuss Bathroom shelf in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

alainplus

I recently tiled the walls of a new shower room. I was wondering, how can I install a shelf on a tiled wall without removing any tiles? It will be used to hold shampoos and soaps.

G

GazTech

mark where you want the holes in the tiles to be for a rawlplug,level and with a pencil .Mark the holes,then take those tiles off the wall to make sure there is no pipework where you want the holes,if no pipes,re-tile and grout,then drill the holes in the tiles with an electric drill.Place rawlplugs in the holes and screw the shelf up using a screwdriver hope this helps
----
Or you could always leave tiles on and use an electronic pipe/wire detector

Last edited by a moderator:
E

enduro

Drill the holes, if it leaks its the plumbers fault, he can get over that...oh got that around the wrong way its the plumber who says the tiler can get over that!!!!

G

GazLC81

Mark spot for holes then use one hand to drill, and use the other hand to cross your fingers! lol

Gaz

I think I should get a pipe/stud detector at some point...... i'm probably pushing my luck now! j/k

G

grumpygrouter

Go to 365 drills and by a kit from them. Makes light work of ceramics! Only problem I find sometimes is that the rawl plug can sometimes spin in the hole becasue the grippy bit is trying to bite into the tile and doesn't do a very good job!

Last edited by a moderator:

wayne

TF
Reaction score
tell the customer its the plumbers job to put acessories up.......... works every time and gets them on the plumbers back for once.

Dan

Admin
Staff member
Reaction score
Drill the holes, if it leaks its the plumbers fault, he can get over that...oh got that around the wrong way its the plumber who says the tiler can get over that!!!!
Nice one lol

I recently tiled the walls of a new shower room. I was wondering, how can I install a shelf on a tiled wall without removing any tiles? It will be used to hold shampoos and soaps.

How would you do it even by removing tiles?

I'd go in the room the other side of the wall where you want to hang the shelf and then take a few bricks out the wall or cut through the plasterboard and then scrape out the grout from the back of the tiled wall and push through some kind of home-made car ariel / coat hanger affair and just hang the shampoo bottles on that. Then build the wall back up and decorate it, bobs your uncle. Tell the mrs you dropped the shelf and get an extra lottery ticket just incase she boots you out.
----
I just thought it had a few serious answers and needed a controversial opinion too.

Last edited:

Reply to Bathroom shelf in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

Or checkout our tile courses and training forum or the Tile Blog / Latest Blog Posts

There are similar tiling threads here

Hi, first time posting. I’m in the middle of tiling my own bathroom, first time having a go at...
Replies
Views
Hi there. Wondering if anyone can help? We had a path laid using reclaimed quarry tiles on top...
Replies
Views
Hi people I'm in desperate need of advice So my builder who I let go due to poor work has...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I need some advice please. I recently had a contractor in to remodel my bathroom...
Replies
Views
I have a walk in shower room ... Sort of a wet room but not quite. I used a kerdi style wet...
Replies
Views
This website is hosted and managed by www.untoldmedia.co.uk. Creating content since 2001.
Tile Contractor Forum. The useful tile contractor website.

Replies you've not seen

New Tiling Questions

UK Tiling Forum Stats

Threads
Members
Latest member
Teejay