Search the forum,

Discuss B&q Porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com.

A

Alan Davies

Just priced a job to lay 25m2 of porcelain floor tiles, customer has bought tiles from b&q, read some bad reports on these tiles, how true are these reports and anyone got any advice please, first time laying porcelain.

Reaction score
dont know meself mate. but have heard the same as you... apparently stick to porcelain that is made in italy and spain as all the others are very porous and irregularly shaped
ian

R

rob hutchinson

The guys are right, "you get whar you pay for" so explain this fact to your customer& try to supply your own quality porcelbond tile adhesive, at least then you can guarantee your own fixing work. Customers may try to cut corners on the price and quality of the tiles however its essential that you convince them that they certainly can't afford to do this with the actual fixing of them. Good luck mate:thumbsup:

F

Fekin

I couldn't say exactly where B&Q get their stock from but from my own experiance it was fine to cut, good sizes, only problem I had was that it was polished black porcelain and the boxes were damp, leaving stains on a lot of tiles that needed a lot of cleaning.

G

Grace'sDad

I've yet to use B&Q Porcelain but I have quoted for fixing. The (non) customer had a couple of 600x600 black tiles and when I measured them they were 600x598x600x598 if you see what I mean.

R

rob hutchinson

Uhmmmm..... sizey!.......at least you will save money by not having to buy cross spacer pegs :lol:

I

IvegotsTILE

B&Q have been pushing the tiles Graces Dad was on about on adverts and at the front of their tile section.600=600 black polished porcelain,must say they look great.I was picking some battons up the other day and had a look at them while someone else was looking at them,he saw my tiling t-shirt and asked what I thought.I said"£11.45 a square metre for those tiles,I'll show you why their that price." I opened a box(naughty,naughty) and got the first 2 tiles out and put them next to each other on the floor one was 599 the other 596.All 4 sizes were different. Put the bloke right off.One off the staff saw me and told me off.I said loudly in front of alot of people that they were only good for hardcore.
The tiles looked great but whats the point if when there laid all the joints are out of line.You can't get quality at that price unfortunately.
If you do have to lay them use a big grout joint,its very rare to get B&Q tiles the same size even in the same box.

Good luck you'll need it.

Reaction score
I did a bathroom in white ceramic from b&q and they were frankly a nightmare...never again for me..

G

Grace'sDad

Also, don't forget you've NO comeback whatsoever with B&Q gear.
Their get out clause is that they only sell DIY, not trade supplies.

(funny, as they have trade sections at the warehouses now...)

Reply to B&q Porcelain in the UK Tiling Forum area at TilersForums.com

There are similar tiling threads here

I had a small leak in the main water line before the stop tap in my 1950s house. The copper pipe...
Replies
Views
The trustpilot reviews for tilers-world are excellent, but there's not a huge number of them...
Replies
Views
Bathroom floor. I would be grateful for advice on how to prepare my bathroom sub floor ready for...
Replies
Views
10 Tiling Tips for Fixing Tiles to Bathroom Walls = From UKTilingForum.co.uk There are a few...
Replies
Views
Hi all. Just wanting some advice and wondering what the pros in here are using nowadays for...
Replies
Views
Posting a tiling question to the forum? Post in Tilers' Talk if you are unsure which forum to post in. We'll move it if there's a more suitable forum.
Please visit our sponsor websites, they keep the forum free to use!

Advertisement

New Tiling Questions

Replies you've not seen